18:30:57 <sysrqb> #startmeeting Tor Browser Team Meeting, 16 December 2019
18:30:57 <MeetBot> Meeting started Mon Dec 16 18:30:57 2019 UTC.  The chair is sysrqb. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
18:30:57 <MeetBot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
18:31:03 <sysrqb> Hello!
18:31:06 <mcs> hi
18:31:22 <boklm> hi!
18:31:43 <pospeselr> hi!
18:31:50 <Jeremy_Rand_Talos> Hello!
18:33:07 <GeKo> hi!
18:33:08 <brade> hi
18:33:33 <pili> hi
18:33:38 <antonela> hello
18:33:41 <sysrqb> okay, let's see where we are
18:36:22 <sysrqb> okay, getting started.
18:37:17 <sysrqb> I don't see any bolded items (or '[discuss]')
18:37:42 <sysrqb> but we still have a few updates coming in
18:38:25 <sysrqb> pospeselr: can you pick up #31855 this week?
18:38:43 <sysrqb> mcs and brde won't have enough time this week
18:38:47 <sysrqb> *brade
18:39:09 <pospeselr> yeah I can do that
18:39:16 <sysrqb> I'd like to land it by the end of the week
18:39:19 <sysrqb> great, thanks
18:39:28 <pospeselr> do we know the ticket number off-hand for when it got added?
18:39:31 <sysrqb> if you can get a patch by tomorrow, then mcs and brade may be able to review :)
18:39:40 <sysrqb> hrm
18:39:46 <sysrqb> i don't bu ti can find it
18:39:49 <pospeselr> if it's simple enough i can get it done today, but i'm going to be afk tomorrow
18:39:56 <pospeselr> but back the rest of the week
18:40:00 <GeKo> #30783
18:40:07 <pospeselr> ok thanks!
18:40:43 <sysrqb> yep, that's the one :)
18:41:15 <sysrqb> if it's simple, then that would be ideal, otherwise i can review it later this week
18:42:01 <sysrqb> I don't see any other tickets that are must-have for the next release
18:42:48 <GeKo> be careful about updating tor-launcher locales if #32636 does not make it
18:43:03 <GeKo> because the changes on the server side are already in place
18:43:22 <mcs> brade and I are working on that ticket today and tomorrow, so hopefully it will be done
18:43:39 <GeKo> nice!
18:43:46 <mcs> (tomorrow if needed)
18:44:48 <sysrqb> yep. ugh. thanks.
18:46:13 <sysrqb> if there are any other tickets we should prioritize for th enext release, please let me know
18:47:08 <sysrqb> okay. discussion
18:47:15 <sysrqb> next team meeting
18:47:40 <sysrqb> i'm now declaring this to be the last tor browser team meeting of 2019
18:47:49 <pospeselr> whoa
18:47:50 <pili> :)
18:48:01 <sysrqb> like many of you, i will be afk next monday
18:48:16 <sysrqb> and so will pili, and GeKo and running away as fast as possible :)
18:48:41 <sysrqb> so, it's a bit silly having a meeting next week
18:49:04 <sysrqb> if any  of you are around, and you want to meet, you should feel empowered to host your own meeting
18:49:15 <sysrqb> you could even declare it a tor browser team meeting
18:49:22 <sysrqb> just don't expect many people will show up :)
18:49:47 <GeKo> feel the power of #startmeeting and #endmeeting
18:49:58 <sysrqb> so, the next meeting should be on Monday 6 January
18:50:01 <sysrqb> indeed
18:50:16 <sysrqb> 6 January 202, that is
18:50:21 <sysrqb> err. 2020
18:50:30 <sysrqb> i can't even type that year correctly yet
18:51:23 <sysrqb> this leads into the second item - the next release
18:51:47 <sysrqb> 9.0.3 and 9.5a4 are scheduled for 6 January
18:51:52 <sysrqb> because "thanks Mozilla"
18:51:59 <pili> :)
18:52:04 <boklm> 7th?
18:52:15 <sysrqb> so I an hoping we can have a release candidate by the end of this week
18:52:22 <pili> ah yes, I think boklm  is right, 7th
18:52:23 <sysrqb> oh, yeah, thanks boklm
18:53:03 <boklm> however, we won't have the mozilla patches available by the end of this week?
18:53:40 <GeKo> i don't think so
18:53:45 <sysrqb> boklm: probably not. i guess i shouldn't call it an 'rc'
18:54:12 <sysrqb> but i'd like to have a test build with all the patch on top of the current esr68 branch
18:54:23 <boklm> ok
18:54:33 <sysrqb> and hopefully we can start testing it before everyone disappears for the holidays
18:54:43 <sysrqb> *patches
18:55:32 <sysrqb> but, with that being said, on Friday we got a trac ticket about a possible crash on Android
18:55:43 <boklm> and for the real release, the plan is to start building it around january 2nd?
18:56:11 <sysrqb> and GeKo thinks this may be a candidate for an emergency release
18:56:25 <sysrqb> so i'm currently trying to repro the crash
18:56:30 <boklm> ah
18:56:46 <GeKo> well, only if this is an rce
18:56:47 <sysrqb> boklm: for 9.0.3, yes, probably
18:56:54 <sysrqb> right.
18:56:57 <GeKo> which might not be likely, but who knows
18:56:58 <boklm> that would be an android-only emergency release?
18:57:06 <GeKo> probably
18:57:20 <sysrqb> it'll depend on what is triggering this crash
18:57:35 <sysrqb> yeah, i'm still trying to repro the crash
18:57:41 <GeKo> i think if that's just an unexploitable crash that's unfortunate
18:57:42 <sysrqb> i haven't been successful yet
18:57:57 <GeKo> but does not merit such a release imo
18:58:07 <GeKo> but it would be good having this fixed in the upcoming alpha at least
18:58:13 <GeKo> in that case
18:58:20 <sysrqb> me too, i agree
18:58:23 <GeKo> either way
18:58:33 <GeKo> sysrqb: you should look at the tbb-backport tickets too
18:58:43 <GeKo> and pick those you think we should ship with
18:58:57 <GeKo> https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/query?status=accepted&status=assigned&status=closed&status=merge_ready&status=needs_information&status=needs_review&status=needs_revision&status=new&status=reopened&keywords=%24tbb-backport&order=priority
18:59:49 <sysrqb> oh, yes, thanks for the reminder
19:01:41 <sysrqb> okay, if no one has anything else they'd like to mention, then I'd like to thank GeKo for his fearless leadership of the team
19:01:52 <GeKo> my pleasure
19:01:52 <sysrqb> i know you're not completely leaving
19:02:13 <GeKo> it was very nice working with all of you
19:02:18 <antonela> <3
19:02:20 <GeKo> we accomplished a lot
19:02:23 <sysrqb> but I've definitely appreciated your wisdom
19:02:28 <GeKo> and having the boat still on course
19:02:35 <pospeselr> :)
19:02:57 <pospeselr> easily the best team lead i've worked with so far :)
19:02:58 <GeKo> 2020, will be... intense
19:03:06 <sysrqb> ha.
19:03:07 <GeKo> maybe more so than any other year
19:03:22 <mcs> now he tells us....
19:03:23 <GeKo> with the switch to the regular release series
19:03:24 <mcs> :)
19:03:27 <sysrqb> no kidding. but shhh, most of them don't know yet :)
19:03:28 <pospeselr> hah
19:03:29 <GeKo> yeah
19:03:42 <GeKo> i won't spare you the hard truths :)
19:03:49 <GeKo> but the important point is
19:04:10 <GeKo> that i believe that you/we solve this issue as well as all the other issues we solve over the years
19:04:27 <sysrqb> indeed
19:05:03 <pili> :)
19:05:07 <GeKo> pospeselr: thanks, that's really appreciated given that i have no clue about leadin a team
19:05:08 <sysrqb> more learning experiences and growing pains
19:05:10 <GeKo> *leading
19:05:22 <Jeremy_Rand_Talos> +1 on thanking GeKo
19:05:25 <GeKo> i mean, really, i have no "education" in that regard ;)
19:05:39 <pospeselr> all for the best it would seem :D
19:05:48 <GeKo> haha
19:06:05 * GeKo bows infront of everyone
19:06:10 <sysrqb> :)
19:06:33 <sysrqb> okay, any last words for the last team meeting of 2019?
19:06:37 <antonela> thanks for your immeasurable patience GeKo! i told it before but was a pleasure to collaborate together in a *bunch* of good stuff
19:06:46 <GeKo> thanks
19:07:07 <GeKo> and i am just a ping away, if i can help ;)
19:07:16 <antonela> good to know :)
19:07:39 <sysrqb> you will receive many pings in the coming months, i expect ;)
19:07:52 <sysrqb> but, hopefully not too many
19:07:57 <antonela> hehe
19:08:04 <GeKo> we'll see!
19:08:06 <sysrqb> and good luck with starting the network health team
19:08:07 <sysrqb> !
19:08:10 <pospeselr> :D
19:08:20 <sysrqb> it is exciting work, and needed work
19:08:23 <GeKo> yeah, it's important and will be exciting
19:08:25 <GeKo> heh
19:09:30 <sysrqb> and with that, i wish you all a good week, and a good holiday, and a good new years!
19:09:33 <pili> exciting times ahead for everyone :)
19:09:36 <brade> happy new year!
19:09:47 <boklm> thanks to GeKo for leading the team! it was a pleasure working in a team led by you.
19:09:47 <sysrqb> and i hope 2020 is the best year
19:09:54 <GeKo> thanks
19:10:00 <GeKo> yeah
19:10:27 <antonela> happy new year folks!
19:10:30 <GeKo> finally time to smash surveillance capitalism and all the other folks that screw us over
19:10:43 <sysrqb> good note to end on.
19:10:49 <pospeselr> oof
19:10:49 <Jeremy_Rand_Talos> happy new year!
19:10:52 <antonela> drops the mic
19:11:32 <sysrqb> #endmeeting