18:29:29 <sysrqb> #startmeeting Tor Browser Team Meeting, 04 November, 2019
18:29:29 <MeetBot> Meeting started Mon Nov  4 18:29:29 2019 UTC.  The chair is sysrqb. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
18:29:29 <MeetBot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
18:29:33 <sysrqb> yup
18:29:36 <Jeremy_Rand_Talos> hello!
18:29:37 <sysrqb> hello everyone
18:29:44 <brade> o/
18:29:45 <GeKo> hi
18:29:52 <boklm> hi
18:30:10 <sisbell> hi
18:30:19 <pospeselr> hi
18:30:32 <mcs> hi
18:31:09 <pili> hi
18:31:23 <acat> hi!
18:32:44 <sysrqb> okay, last few updates are coming in now
18:33:39 <sysrqb> ( antonela ping, just in case you're coming to the meeting, too)
18:34:06 <sysrqb> okay, today is another fun release week
18:34:11 <tjr> pospeselr: thanks for all your work on letterboxing. I will try to upstream your code when you make improvements :)
18:34:20 <pospeselr> :)
18:34:26 <sysrqb> +1
18:34:52 <pospeselr> looks like there's recently been some upstream changes to RFPHelper.jsm that should probably be backported
18:35:03 <sysrqb> we should have 9.0.1 coming out today/tomorrow, and 9.5a2 coming out ~1 day later
18:36:18 <sysrqb> pospeselr: are they useful changes? or will they make backporting/upstreaming easier?
18:36:37 <sysrqb> "useful" being funcational improvements
18:36:38 <pospeselr> yeah looks like it's fixes for the findbar and devtools
18:36:47 <sysrqb> ah, neat
18:37:10 <GeKo> pospeselr: they are backported
18:37:13 <pospeselr> lol nevermind, yeah
18:37:16 <GeKo> and available in 9.5a2
18:37:23 <pospeselr> i just learned about them because of gk's commit email
18:37:24 <GeKo> (at least that was my plan ;) )
18:37:25 <pospeselr> for them
18:37:25 <pospeselr> anyway
18:37:48 <GeKo> but there might be moew
18:37:51 <GeKo> *more
18:38:55 <sysrqb> okay, not many bold updates this week
18:39:36 <sysrqb> boklm: thanks for quickly fixing the reproducibility issues on Android
18:40:19 <boklm> you're welcome
18:40:21 <GeKo> pospeselr: can you pick this up and redo the .apks?
18:40:38 <pospeselr> yeah, is there a build2 tag?
18:40:39 <GeKo> we need that to get the release finally signed and out
18:40:44 <GeKo> probably tomorrow
18:40:51 <GeKo> there is! :)
18:41:19 <GeKo> sysrqb: so, while talking release
18:41:21 <Jeremy_Rand_Talos> while we're thanking boklm, thanks for fixing up my build_go_lib patch :)
18:41:24 <sysrqb> Jeremy_Rand_Talos: i don't know which are the blockers for namecoin
18:41:44 <pospeselr> Geko: build started
18:41:46 <sysrqb> GeKo: yes?
18:41:47 <GeKo> thx
18:42:15 <GeKo> i wonder whether we should put out the alpha like within the next two days
18:42:20 <GeKo> too or not
18:42:46 <GeKo> alphas are precious in the sense that they help us testing stuff for the next stable
18:42:52 <GeKo> and for stuff we want to backport
18:43:23 <GeKo> so, everything that does not get into the upcoming alpha
18:43:32 <GeKo> but should tested in one first before hitting stable
18:43:38 <GeKo> needs to go in the next one
18:43:46 <GeKo> which is currently scheduled for dec 3
18:44:00 <GeKo> which means it would reach stable earliest in jan 2020
18:44:31 <GeKo> so, the question is whether we want to put something more into this alpha
18:44:32 <Jeremy_Rand_Talos> sysrqb, yeah, so at some point we'll need to figure out which of those things are blockers.  Doesn't necessarily have to be during this meeting, but I wanted to get that stuff on your radar since most of the critical work on my end is nearing completion
18:44:44 <GeKo> to have this already available in the dec 3 stable release
18:45:09 <sysrqb> I think yes, there are some patches we should get into a alpha soon
18:45:28 <sysrqb> we could plan another alpha in a couple mweeks, in between now and December
18:45:43 <GeKo> yes, that's one option
18:45:44 <sysrqb> but that is a burden on our limited resources, too
18:45:52 <GeKo> yep
18:46:13 <GeKo> so i was pondering whether it would be helpful to delay the alpha release until, say, friday
18:46:20 <sysrqb> other than EOY campaign, i'm nomre in favor of delaying 9.5a2
18:46:21 <GeKo> to get still stuff in
18:46:30 <sysrqb> *i'm more
18:46:44 <GeKo> yeah
18:46:57 <GeKo> maybe we should talk to sstevenson about that
18:47:12 <GeKo> Jeremy_Rand_Talos: none of your points is a blocker for nightly
18:47:34 <GeKo> i would not want to delay 9.5a2 for long
18:47:44 <GeKo> but some days might not hurt much
18:48:00 <GeKo> but gives us more time to work on things like #32303
18:48:10 <sysrqb> pili: yeah
18:48:14 <sysrqb> err
18:48:15 <sysrqb> yeah
18:48:18 <pili> :D
18:48:19 <GeKo> :)
18:48:38 <sysrqb> pili: we should check with sstevenson about how important the alpha biuld is for EOY campaign
18:48:45 <sysrqb> i think we can argue it's not too important
18:48:46 <pili> will do
18:48:49 <sysrqb> compared with the stable
18:48:55 <pili> I would agree
18:49:00 <GeKo> but it's still money...
18:49:00 <pili> and I'll double check
18:49:09 <GeKo> or potential money
18:49:10 <Jeremy_Rand_Talos> GeKo, ok great, sounds good.  In that case, I should have a tor-browser-build patch for Namecoin for your consideration ready within the next week assuming nothing unexpected comes up
18:49:20 <GeKo> Jeremy_Rand_Talos: sounds good
18:49:21 <sysrqb> we have some graphs showing a very small percentage of users on alpha
18:49:30 <sysrqb> GeKo: yes, that's definietely true
18:49:49 <pili> sysrqb: I was just about to ask about percentage of users :)
18:49:54 <boklm> https://metrics.torproject.org/webstats-tb-channel.html is the graph
18:50:13 <GeKo> i guess we should define some tickets we really think should go into the next alpha
18:50:43 <GeKo> and then build a path forward taking fundraising folks' opinion into account
18:50:49 * GeKo shuts up now
18:52:00 <sysrqb> thanks GeKo, that was a good discussion point
18:52:59 <sysrqb> sisbell: do we need a buster container for https-everywhere ?
18:53:36 <sisbell> I'm getting an error since we are using debian
18:53:56 <sisbell> I don't know of a way to mix containers in a build
18:54:15 <boklm> I think we can keep it on stretch for now
18:54:46 <sisbell> I'd need some pointers on how to do this. I;ve checked in the code I have for review
18:55:01 <sysrqb> please talk with boklm about that this week
18:55:12 <sisbell> sure
18:55:34 <sysrqb> thanks
18:56:19 <pili> ok, so I've been talking to sstevenson and she's fine to wait for the alpha on Friday as long as the about:tor changes are released to the majority of users later today/tomorrow
18:56:32 <sysrqb> sisbell: i also gave some feedback on #30552, can you pick up that ticket again this week?
18:56:44 <sysrqb> pili: great, thanks
18:57:28 <sisbell> Yes. I made changes but I'll add some more comments about what those are.
18:57:41 <sysrqb> thanks
18:58:07 <sysrqb> Okay, GeKo already responded to my first discussion point
18:58:24 <sysrqb> i don't think there's much more to discuss about #30429 and #31010 right now
18:59:07 <sysrqb> sisbell: do you know if we need #31650?
18:59:17 <sysrqb> _hc isn't around right now
18:59:26 <sysrqb> but I'm not sure how we should prioritize that ticket
18:59:28 <sisbell> It looks like firefox is handling this.
18:59:36 <sisbell> But I think its a good idea to do anyway
19:00:11 <sysrqb> okay, we can schedule it as a nice-to-have
19:00:14 <sisbell> Its a quick fix
19:00:25 <sysrqb> but not a priority if there are other tickets that are more important for a release
19:00:31 <sysrqb> okay, good
19:01:10 <sysrqb> well, it seems we reached the end of updates and discussion points
19:01:29 <GeKo> should we talk about work outline for november?
19:01:32 <sysrqb> does anyone want to bring up anything else in this meeting?
19:01:40 <GeKo> i.e. is everyone clear on what to work on?
19:01:54 <sysrqb> yes, that was my next idea if no one had anything else
19:02:19 <GeKo> heh
19:03:17 <sysrqb> https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/query?status=!closed&keywords=~TorBrowserTeam201911&col=id&col=summary&col=keywords&col=status&col=owner&col=type&col=priority&col=points&desc=1&order=id
19:03:29 <sysrqb> we're at the beginning of another month
19:03:50 <sysrqb> GeKo and pili moved tickets into 201911
19:04:22 <sysrqb> we started marking ticket priorities for this month
19:04:52 <sysrqb> we haven't touched all tickets yet
19:05:07 <sysrqb> high priority tickets will be the most important tickets we should work on this month
19:05:28 <pili> I haven't given tickets any priority yet after our talk :)
19:05:29 <sysrqb> and medium priority tickets will be the tickets we work on after the high priotiy tickets are completed
19:05:30 <pili> will do so later today or first thing tomorrow
19:05:37 <sysrqb> pili: yep :) np
19:06:29 <sysrqb> we'll be picking up S27 tickets again this month
19:06:52 <sysrqb> hrm, i wonder what is the most useful way of explaining this
19:07:10 <GeKo> explaining what?
19:08:06 <sysrqb> which tickets are most important this month, out of the list of 201911 tickets
19:08:43 <sysrqb> but maybe that's not too important right now
19:08:58 <GeKo> i thought we'd have the prio thing for that?
19:09:00 <sysrqb> we'll go through all the tickets and mark them with their priority
19:09:07 <sysrqb> we will, but we don't right now
19:09:25 <sysrqb> maybe saying this is enough? :)
19:10:06 <sysrqb> okay, let's discuss this during next weeks meeting, after we update all the ticket priorities
19:10:19 <sysrqb> everyone has their tasks for this week already
19:10:34 <GeKo> boklm: i think we need to re-focus on s9 work
19:10:45 <sysrqb> does that make sense?
19:10:48 <GeKo> otherwise we risk the dependency for the user testing
19:10:51 <GeKo> sysrqb: yes
19:11:12 <GeKo> boklm: given the estimates you gave me today
19:11:39 <GeKo> it seems you should only work on the nightly updater from now on until it is ready
19:11:46 <GeKo> reviews are fair game
19:11:57 <boklm> ok
19:12:00 <GeKo> (as long as they are not super-complicated)
19:12:09 <GeKo> and release related work, too
19:12:19 <GeKo> i try to comensate #32052
19:12:32 <GeKo> *compensate
19:12:45 <GeKo> by trying to get more help from mozilla folks if needed
19:12:54 <GeKo> it kind of sucks but here we are
19:13:01 <boklm> ok, so I will focus on #18867 this week
19:13:06 <GeKo> so, please drop the fpcentral items as well
19:13:12 <GeKo> they are not important right now
19:13:16 <GeKo> (alas, again)
19:13:23 <GeKo> thanks
19:16:13 <sysrqb> GeKo: do you think #32138 is a good use of acat's week?
19:17:28 <GeKo> i don't think so
19:17:38 <sysrqb> maybe backporting #23719 is better?
19:17:40 <GeKo> i think making progress on s27 sounds like a better plan
19:18:08 <GeKo> you mean for 9.5a2?
19:18:15 <sysrqb> yeah
19:18:22 <sysrqb> that was my thought.
19:18:30 <GeKo> sounds good
19:18:49 <GeKo> should not be overly involved given that tjr provided some patches already
19:19:03 <sysrqb> okay, acat can you work on #21952 and #23719 this week?
19:19:03 <GeKo> making sure that things don't explode is smart, though :)
19:19:22 <sysrqb> yes, not-exploding is important
19:19:29 <acat> sure
19:19:33 <sysrqb> thanks
19:19:56 <GeKo> acat: #23719 for wednesday would be neat
19:20:11 <GeKo> so, we have some time to build and sign the release etc.
19:20:33 <sysrqb> pospeselr: before you dive further into letterboxing bugs. can you pick up one of the higher priority November tickets?
19:20:43 <pospeselr> yeah i can do that
19:20:58 <sysrqb> i'll let you know when the list is updated with priorities
19:21:01 <sysrqb> thanks
19:21:16 <GeKo> i think it might be smart to start with the per-site security settings
19:21:25 <GeKo> because that one will take a while :)
19:21:33 <sysrqb> that would be a good one
19:21:52 <pospeselr> and oh look, it's already assigned to me :3
19:22:05 <sysrqb> so-weird.
19:22:06 <GeKo> there you go!
19:22:11 <mcs> are the letterboxing changes really close to done, or not close at all?
19:22:49 <mcs> (I am just thinking that doing something to reduce confusion there would be good, but not if it is going to take a long time)
19:22:59 <sysrqb> yeah, i was looking at "start work on exposing an option in about:preferences to toggle letter-boxing (#32325)"
19:23:08 <sysrqb> and concerned with starting something new
19:23:17 <mcs> sysrqb: ah, got it
19:23:22 <pospeselr> #32220 is nearly done, i've a patch that's working now, but isn't *quite* perfect (it letterboxes on creation of new windows when it should just fit the whole screen)
19:23:25 <sysrqb> if #32220 is close, then finishing it makes sense
19:23:40 <pospeselr> i would expect to finish get it up for review with a fix today
19:23:53 <pospeselr> but the other two are surely rabbit-holes
19:24:01 <sysrqb> cool. tht sounds good
19:24:03 <sysrqb> that
19:24:19 <pospeselr> ok
19:24:28 <pospeselr> i'll finish 32220 then move on to per-site
19:24:55 <sysrqb> thanks
19:25:15 <sysrqb> okay, any last questions/comments/concerns before i close this meeting?
19:25:34 <GeKo> <- is fine
19:25:38 <Jeremy_Rand_Talos> nothing else from me
19:25:48 <pili> I'm good
19:25:53 <sysrqb> okay, great, thakns everyone
19:25:57 <sysrqb> have a good week!
19:26:02 <sysrqb> #endmeeting