17:31:36 <GeKo> #startmeeting tor browser 8/26
17:31:36 <MeetBot> Meeting started Mon Aug 26 17:31:36 2019 UTC.  The chair is GeKo. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
17:31:36 <MeetBot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
17:31:43 <GeKo> hello everyone!
17:31:54 <antonela> o/
17:31:59 <GeKo> welcome to another weekly tor browser meeting
17:32:02 <sisbell> hi
17:32:13 <GeKo> the items on the pad we currently have are https://storm.torproject.org/shared/tHoN4Ii7rLSjPE0OP4gydX4cMGadsXmRQNc-6lwru0N
17:32:26 <GeKo> please add yours if not already done
17:32:37 <pili> hi
17:32:46 <sysrqb> hello hello
17:33:25 <acat> o/
17:33:41 <boklm> hi
17:34:58 <pospeselr> good morning
17:36:11 <GeKo> okay, let's get going
17:36:28 <antonela> hey intrigeri o/
17:36:33 <GeKo> pili: you are first
17:36:40 <pili> hi everyone
17:36:49 <intrigeri> (hi! vaguely lurking while I'm still vaguely awake.)
17:37:24 <pili> I wanted to do a first pass at september's roadmap and add points to the tickets
17:37:25 <pili> I guess the first step is to figure out which of august ticket's we will carry over to september
17:37:37 <pili> and assign points for the remaining work in them
17:38:04 <pili> I'll start listing off the ones I have and if people can give estimates that would be helpful
17:38:08 <pili> does that sound like a plan? :)
17:38:19 <pili> (it may be a bit tedious but bear with me for this one)
17:39:07 <GeKo> wfm
17:39:18 * antonela bearing with pili
17:39:31 <pili> #30490
17:40:26 <GeKo> we don't carry this ticket over
17:40:38 <GeKo> we'll fix it this week and open follow-up tickets if needed
17:40:38 <pili> ok #31192
17:41:03 <GeKo> carry over (unless a fix magically appears this week)
17:41:07 <sysrqb> did we say 1 point is 1 day?
17:41:24 <pili> yup,
17:41:25 <pili> sorry, I should have specified that at the start
17:41:26 <pili> thanks sysrqb
17:41:38 <sysrqb> i thought i remembered that :)
17:41:45 <pili> any estimates for #31192? :)
17:41:52 <sysrqb> i tink maybe 0.5 points?
17:41:59 <sysrqb> it should just-work with 68esr
17:42:05 <GeKo> hehe
17:42:06 <sysrqb> but maybe it won't
17:42:19 <GeKo> well, you need to adapt some tor-browser-build parts
17:42:27 <sisbell> We need to create rust target and modify mozconfig a bit
17:42:28 <GeKo> and test the .apks
17:42:32 <pili> 1 point?
17:42:38 <GeKo> yes
17:43:23 <pili> next one: #21549
17:43:30 <GeKo> carry over
17:43:50 <GeKo> i talked to luke with tjr and we should be in good shape
17:43:55 <GeKo> but still
17:44:01 <GeKo> 1 point
17:44:12 <GeKo> it's a large beast
17:44:13 <pili> ok
17:44:36 <pili> #26847
17:44:50 <GeKo> no carry over
17:45:08 <GeKo> i'll review what ma1 got us and proabably close the ticket
17:45:13 <GeKo> it seems it's gotten better
17:45:23 <pili> #27399 I think should be closed this week
17:45:27 <pili> so no carry over?
17:45:35 <GeKo> yes
17:46:08 <pili> #27601
17:46:18 <GeKo> no carry over
17:46:29 <GeKo> we'll get that with acat's rebase work (i hope)
17:46:36 <GeKo> which i'll look at tomorrow
17:46:51 <pili> #29818
17:47:07 <GeKo> that's a good one
17:47:14 <GeKo> i need to talk to mcs and brade about that
17:47:22 <GeKo> hard to say the involved work
17:47:36 <GeKo> but probably carry over
17:47:47 <pili> ok, we'll leave the estimates for now ;)
17:47:50 <GeKo> you should as them tomorrow
17:47:50 <pili> #29935
17:47:56 <pili> will do
17:48:02 <GeKo> carry over
17:48:13 <GeKo> however it has sub tickets as it is more a meta one
17:48:25 <GeKo> maybe we should take those off our radar
17:48:34 <GeKo> and only track the actual ones?
17:48:45 <GeKo> if so, then no carry over (case closed :) )
17:49:03 <pili> yeah, I have those also: #30786
17:49:23 <pili> #30787 and #30788
17:49:25 <GeKo> all of them carry over
17:50:02 <pili> estimates? :)
17:50:04 <GeKo> i guess one 2 hours for each incl. testing
17:50:17 <GeKo> whatever that is in points :)
17:50:29 <antonela> 0.4?
17:50:46 <pili> hehe
17:50:53 <pili> I'll put 1d in the parent
17:50:56 <GeKo> couuld be!
17:51:00 <pili> I can put hours in the individual ones
17:51:05 <GeKo> *could
17:52:10 <pili> ok #30036
17:52:30 <sysrqb> that's mostly taken care of in #31010
17:52:31 <GeKo> if that's not done with #31010 carry over
17:52:37 <pili> ok
17:52:46 * antonela did better maths and seems like 0.25 is the p we want
17:52:49 <pili> i was going to say I was tempted to icebox it ;) since it's been moving over every month
17:52:50 <GeKo> i guess we'll file follow-up tickets if needed?
17:53:08 <sysrqb> yeah, wfm
17:53:16 <GeKo> then no carry over
17:53:25 <pili> ok, so for now no carry over then
17:53:40 <pili> #30320 - this is the toolchains parent ticket
17:53:59 <pili> so maybe let's look at the individual ones>
17:54:04 <pili> #30321
17:54:26 <GeKo> no carry over
17:54:42 <pili> #30322
17:54:54 <pili> for any of them?
17:54:57 <GeKo> no carry over
17:55:02 <pili> #30323
17:55:06 <GeKo> close :)
17:55:09 <GeKo> *closed
17:55:23 <pili> oooh, I missed that one
17:55:44 <pili> oh, I see it's been updated in my comment, some gitlab magic going on ther
17:55:54 <pili> #30324 ?
17:56:02 <GeKo> hopefully no carry over
17:56:14 <GeKo> (but i have not had a branch so far to look at all the details)
17:56:42 <sisbell> The Android toolchain work is done, but it still needs to be merged and reviewed
17:56:55 <sisbell> So maybe .5
17:57:00 <GeKo> sisbell: is esr68_0820 the one to look at?
17:57:08 <sisbell> Yes
17:57:13 <GeKo> but this will happen this week
17:57:18 <GeKo> so, no carry over
17:57:23 <pili> sisbell: do you think it will carry over to next week though?
17:57:24 <pili> ok
17:57:25 <pili> good :)
17:57:27 <pili> #30518
17:57:45 <GeKo> sisbell: could you update the tickets to set the review flag pointing to commits/the branch?
17:58:04 <sisbell> Yes, I'll do that
17:58:23 <GeKo> pili: carry over
17:58:30 <GeKo> should be relatively easy
17:58:30 <pili> points?
17:58:42 <GeKo> 1hour inclusive testing?
17:59:25 <pili> I'll double that to 2h just in case ;)
17:59:28 <pili> ok, #30665
17:59:46 <GeKo> no carry over
18:00:16 <sisbell> Its currently working but not with all the patches, those still need to be applied and tested
18:00:43 <pili> ok
18:00:43 <sisbell> So its more of a vanilla firefox android build that is working
18:01:14 <GeKo> yeah, but we need that this week
18:01:23 <GeKo> which is why there is no carry over
18:01:32 <sisbell> ok
18:02:00 <pili> ok :)
18:02:04 <pili> next: #30845
18:02:25 <GeKo> we should fix the underlying issue this week
18:02:29 <GeKo> so, no carry over
18:02:33 <pili> ok
18:03:04 <pili> #31144 - this was the one for mikeperry, right?
18:03:09 <GeKo> yes
18:03:24 <pili> hmm, he's not in this channel
18:03:31 <pili> any ideas?
18:03:48 <GeKo> we could ask him
18:03:53 <sysrqb> last i heard that'll carry over, because he was prioritising network team tickets
18:04:19 <pili> ok, I'll follow up on that one
18:04:30 <GeKo> asked in #tor-dev
18:04:33 <pili> and carry over sounds about right
18:04:36 <pili> thanks GeKo
18:04:39 <GeKo> but, yes, carry over definitely
18:05:24 <pili> #31161
18:05:35 <GeKo> carry over
18:05:42 <sysrqb> heh. yeah.
18:05:51 <pili> points? :)
18:05:54 <GeKo> i am still thinking about that :)
18:06:11 <GeKo> that's a hard one
18:06:35 <GeKo> let's go with 2 points from where we are and if my idea is working as expected
18:06:43 <pili> ok
18:06:46 <pili> #31287
18:06:53 <GeKo> no carry over
18:07:59 <pili> ok
18:08:19 <pili> #31303
18:08:59 <GeKo> hm
18:09:04 <pili> i think that's one from pospeselr
18:09:21 <GeKo> i'd check first whether that's still an issue with esr68
18:09:24 <pili> not sure if he's also going to work on it
18:09:54 <GeKo> i would not carry it over
18:10:04 <pospeselr> I don't have any immediate plans to work on it, though I'm sure I can be compelled to :)
18:10:09 <pili> I can icebox it :)
18:10:10 <GeKo> i don't think we have time for that in sep
18:10:15 <pospeselr> yeah
18:10:48 <pili> ok
18:11:02 <pili> #31308
18:11:24 <pili> (almost there)
18:12:00 <GeKo> hm
18:12:08 <GeKo> i think we should do that this week as well
18:12:17 <GeKo> (it will be a looong week)
18:12:22 <GeKo> so, no carry over
18:12:30 <pili> ok
18:12:32 <pili> #31389
18:12:45 <GeKo> no carry over
18:13:27 <pili> ok, so that's the last one I had
18:13:40 <pili> any others from August I may have forgotten about?
18:14:07 <GeKo> yes, see: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/query?status=!closed&keywords=~TorBrowserTeam201908
18:14:21 <GeKo> there are a bunch more
18:14:39 <pili> ah yes, I wasn't counting the ones on needs review
18:14:44 <pili> or needs revision
18:15:23 <pili> let's work through those then
18:15:27 <pili> #31192
18:16:17 <sysrqb> didn't we touch that one already?
18:16:18 <pili> actually, I'll move through the others I have in a more systematic way... otherwise I'm going to get lost
18:16:23 <GeKo> we had this already
18:16:31 <pili> yeah, let me use my list
18:16:36 <sysrqb> :)
18:16:39 <sysrqb> np
18:16:41 <GeKo> which one? ;)
18:17:02 <pili> https://dip.torproject.org/torproject/applications/tor-browser/-/boards - "Next" column :)
18:17:24 <GeKo> woah
18:17:25 <pili> #29430
18:17:30 <GeKo> no carry over
18:17:41 <pili> (so I was going through the Backlog column just now)
18:17:50 <pili> #31396
18:19:14 <GeKo> acat: i guess this will be fixed this week?
18:19:28 <acat> hopefully :)
18:19:47 <acat> i have it working, just looking for a better solution :)
18:19:56 <pili> I'll move on :P #31448
18:20:34 <GeKo> carry over
18:20:53 <GeKo> let's start here with 2 points
18:21:25 <pospeselr> brb
18:21:44 <pili> #31298
18:22:16 <sysrqb> #24056
18:22:26 <pili> :)
18:22:44 <GeKo> that's not on our august radar?
18:22:52 <sysrqb> zwiebelbot doesn't do recursive ticket numbers :)
18:23:22 <GeKo> but i think acat has backported that one
18:23:23 <pili> ah no, it's not, but acat mentioned they were working on it :)
18:23:24 <pili> let's skip that one
18:23:53 <pili> #31286
18:24:21 <antonela> we on that, by we pospeselr and me
18:24:31 <pili> antonela: will it carry over to september?
18:24:35 <GeKo> yes
18:24:38 <pili> and how much more will be left to do on it?
18:24:39 <antonela> ditto
18:24:42 <pili> :)
18:25:01 <antonela> we lost pospeselr 13 lines above, we can sync when is back
18:25:24 <pili> ok
18:25:25 <pili> #27399 should be done this week I think :)
18:25:40 <antonela> cool
18:25:51 <GeKo> pili: yes, as said ;)
18:26:00 <pili> #30429 and #31010 not sure how to deal with... :)
18:26:30 <GeKo> no carry over
18:26:31 <pili> (actually, they should be in the review column, moved now)
18:26:34 <pospeselr> back, sorry
18:26:41 <pili> #28238
18:26:47 <GeKo> thi will get donein this long week
18:26:58 <GeKo> no carry over
18:27:24 <pili> skipping over #29955 as above
18:27:25 <pili> #30126
18:27:48 <GeKo> carry over
18:27:59 <GeKo> i have to talk to mcs and brade to give some points
18:28:03 <pili> we need mcs/brade for the estimate right?
18:28:08 <pili> gotcha
18:28:08 <pili> ok
18:28:09 <GeKo> but i don't have any clue for that one
18:28:16 <pili> #31293
18:28:51 <GeKo> should be solved with the switcht to the new android toolchain?
18:28:52 <GeKo> sisbell: ^
18:29:37 <sisbell> I still see some issues with firefox and deamon on new toolchain. So I think the solution for now is just dont diable network for Android
18:29:53 <pili> and #31388 also?
18:30:01 <sysrqb> sisbell: oh, even with the newer versoin on gradle?
18:30:05 <GeKo> huh
18:30:07 <sysrqb> *of
18:30:10 <GeKo> okay
18:30:16 <pili> so, carry over?
18:30:17 <GeKo> then carry over
18:30:18 <pili> and estimate? :)
18:30:27 <sisbell> Yes, I just saw an issue recently when I disabled w/ new toolchain
18:30:32 <boklm> isn't that a different error?
18:30:33 <sisbell> But that was just on firefox
18:30:44 <GeKo> what boklm said
18:31:14 <sisbell> THe new error is not an NPE
18:31:23 <sisbell> But the build still aborts
18:31:24 <pili> so, I realize we're over the hour... are people ok to continue?
18:31:28 <GeKo> pili: i think we close that one with the new toolchain done
18:31:31 <pili> otherwise we can try to finish this off next week
18:31:36 <GeKo> and open new tickets where needed
18:31:39 <pili> the rust one?
18:31:44 <GeKo> no the other
18:31:44 <pili> or the gradle one?
18:31:45 <GeKo> one
18:31:45 <pili> ok
18:31:46 <GeKo> yes
18:31:56 <pili> so no carry over in the end
18:32:11 <GeKo> yep
18:32:54 <pili> rust one? :)
18:33:03 <sysrqb> and rust should be done with the android toolchain
18:33:09 <GeKo> yes
18:33:24 <pili> ok
18:33:25 <pili> #31449
18:33:33 <GeKo> no carry over
18:33:41 <pili> ok, all the other tickets are in needs_review
18:33:46 <pili> there's 25 of them
18:33:51 <pili> I don't think we should go through them now
18:34:03 <pili> one by one
18:34:16 <GeKo> yeah
18:34:21 <pili> but maybe let's single out ones that will carry over and try to give some estimates?
18:34:28 <GeKo> let's see what actually makes it to sept from them
18:35:02 <GeKo> let's talk next monday about those items maybe?
18:35:21 <GeKo> that should give us a clearer picture
18:36:49 <pili> ok
18:36:52 <pili> sounds good
18:37:06 <GeKo> okay, that's been you first item, nice :)
18:37:10 <antonela> haha
18:37:14 <GeKo> now the other ones
18:37:24 <pili> I don't need to take anymore time :P
18:37:33 <pili> people can just read the bold items ;)
18:37:37 <GeKo> k
18:38:01 <GeKo> antonela: you are up
18:38:11 <antonela> thanks! a quick one
18:38:17 <antonela> so, we are working on Tor Network Settings #31286, is a kind of big change, so please take a look at the ticket and read what we are doing and let us know if we are missing anything.
18:38:22 <antonela> just for a formal decision, is it fine if we use Tor Browser icon for Tor Network Settings? I think so but maybe you have another ideas. Please, leave your comments at the ticket! thanks!
18:39:56 <pospeselr> and yeah for me, the tldr is is there a working branch in tor-browser-build
18:40:09 <GeKo> +1 from me
18:40:22 <GeKo> (for the icon)
18:40:40 <antonela> cool, thanks
18:41:09 <GeKo> pospeselr: about you question. would it be okay if i give you a build later on?
18:41:22 <GeKo> i think i have all the missing pieces at least for a 64bit one
18:41:23 <pospeselr> ah no, i'm trying to verify a patch which integrates the latest mingw
18:41:28 <GeKo> yes
18:41:31 <GeKo> i use that one
18:41:43 <pospeselr> as jacek fast-forwarded the widl changes up
18:41:48 <GeKo> + all the other stuff we need for esr68
18:41:50 <pospeselr> oh ok, yeah if you have one on hand that'd be great
18:42:01 <GeKo> i use the latest mingw-w64
18:42:06 <GeKo> which should  have it?
18:42:22 <pospeselr> yeah it was comitted sometime last week
18:42:27 <pospeselr> so HEAD would definitely have it
18:42:39 <GeKo> okay. i ping you with a link to the .exe
18:43:00 <pospeselr> ok perfect
18:43:03 <pospeselr> makes my job easier :)
18:43:11 <GeKo> anything else for the status updates?
18:44:15 <GeKo> sysrqb: you are up for discussion :)
18:44:31 <GeKo> (in case my comment does not answer your question)
18:44:34 <sysrqb> okay, #31308 mostly answered my question :)
18:44:44 <sysrqb> ah
18:44:46 <GeKo> #23656 is the better one
18:45:08 <GeKo> it just needs someone writing those bits. as usual
18:45:13 <GeKo> should not even be overly hard
18:45:14 <sysrqb> okay, yes, all of these pieces answer the question :)
18:45:21 <sysrqb> thanks
18:45:48 <GeKo> alright any other discussion points?
18:46:01 <sysrqb> hrm. one more question, i guess
18:46:09 <sysrqb> for android, we have multiple archs
18:46:14 <GeKo> i need to talk to mcs/brade tomorrow and nailing down the final release plan for the alpha
18:46:28 <GeKo> i see there is already a 68.1.0esr tag, exciting
18:46:53 <sysrqb> should i only rebase the arm mozconfig for #31010?
18:47:06 <sysrqb> i'm debating changing that into a x86 build
18:47:17 <GeKo> yeah, just wagt we have now
18:47:17 <sysrqb> but maybe it's easier if i stay with what we used for 60esr
18:47:22 <sysrqb> okay
18:47:32 <GeKo> and then maybe opena follow-up ticket
18:47:38 <sysrqb> sure, wfm
18:47:40 <GeKo> or *tickets
18:47:48 <sysrqb> kk
18:49:00 <GeKo> okay. let's do it
18:49:06 <GeKo> thanks all! *baf*
18:49:10 <GeKo> #endmeeting