17:30:11 <GeKo> #startmeeting tor browser 5/28 2019
17:30:11 <MeetBot> Meeting started Tue May 28 17:30:11 2019 UTC.  The chair is GeKo. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
17:30:11 <MeetBot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
17:30:25 <GeKo> hello everyone do our tuesday meeting
17:30:46 <GeKo> (yesterday was memorial day in the US and we moved it therefore)
17:30:55 <mcs> hi to all
17:31:14 <GeKo> please update the pad as usual
17:31:18 <sisbell> hi
17:31:23 <pospeselr> o/
17:31:26 <GeKo> and mark things bold you need help with/want to talk about
17:32:20 <acat> hi
17:32:31 <pili> hi
17:33:35 <sysrqb> o/
17:33:42 * sysrqb updates pad
17:35:14 <boklm> hi
17:35:41 <GeKo> o/
17:35:47 <GeKo> okay, i think we should get started
17:36:12 <GeKo> so tor browser 8.5 got out as you probably all know ;)
17:36:25 <GeKo> and it seems nothing broke super badly, yay
17:36:38 <GeKo> but we have some things i like to get fixed in a point release
17:37:01 <GeKo> which i think we should start building this thursday/friday
17:37:08 <GeKo> and then get out early next week
17:37:39 <GeKo> (we probably want a new alpha as well albeit for slightly other issues, like new tor alpha etc.)
17:38:08 <GeKo> tickets with specific 8.5 issues are tracked ith tbb-8.5-issues
17:38:20 <GeKo> https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/query?status=accepted&status=assigned&status=merge_ready&status=needs_information&status=needs_review&status=needs_revision&status=new&status=reopened&keywords=~tbb-8.5-issues&order=priority
17:38:31 <GeKo> those are not many
17:39:02 <GeKo> we basically have the fix for #30565 landed (there is an update related report in that ticket which is why this is still open)
17:39:11 <GeKo> and i think we can and should get #30560 fixed, too
17:39:54 <GeKo> so, why i bring this up: i might need folks to review patches
17:40:03 <GeKo> and asked already around
17:40:33 <GeKo> boklm: #30492 for the alpha would be neat
17:40:53 <GeKo> and getting #28119 solved for the alpha, would be good too
17:41:05 <GeKo> then there is the tiny #29969
17:41:19 <GeKo> and i already asked mcs/brade and acat for #30541
17:41:34 <GeKo> that's it from my side
17:41:48 <GeKo> let me know whether there are questions/concerns/issues etc.
17:42:41 <sysrqb> i'd like tor ship a fix for #30573, but it looks like it's non-trivial
17:43:01 <sysrqb> so i think the "real" fix may need to ride the train on alppha
17:43:04 <acat> GeKo: sorry, I missed there was a patch for this one already
17:43:19 <sysrqb> but many we can ship a smaller immediate fix in stable, for now
17:43:29 <GeKo> acat: which one
17:43:30 <GeKo> ?
17:43:41 <acat> #30541
17:43:46 <GeKo> sysrqb: sounds good
17:43:58 <GeKo> acat: oh, i think i just asked for review?
17:44:20 <sysrqb> GeKo: kk :
17:44:23 <sysrqb> :)
17:44:34 <GeKo> acat: 06:57 <+GeKo> acat: could you put #30451 on your review plate?
17:44:55 <acat> yes, for some reason I missed the "review" :)
17:45:24 <GeKo> hah, then we can pick the better patch, which works for me ;)
17:45:50 <GeKo> sysrqb: i guess i wait for the patches then and we can decide what to do?
17:46:01 <GeKo> my current plan is really only do this one fixup for stable
17:46:12 <GeKo> and then the one in july next
17:46:26 <GeKo> to not lose too much time with additional releases
17:46:32 <sysrqb> okay. yes, makes sense
17:46:43 <acat> GeKo: no no, I didn't do patch, it was just that I would have increased priority if I had seen that there was a patch already
17:47:18 <GeKo> okay, "just" review is fine
17:48:24 <GeKo> sysrqb: you could think about starting the mobile patch clean-up and rebase
17:49:01 <GeKo> not sure how long that will take but i bet a substantial amount of time
17:49:06 <GeKo> and it's high prio stuff
17:49:20 <sysrqb> GeKo: i'll add it
17:49:48 <GeKo> mcs: brade: did you want to do #28822?
17:49:58 <GeKo> or is that a thing acat could pick up?
17:50:21 <mcs> GeKo: not necessarily; we are fine with acat picking it up. Might be possible/easiest to “resurrect” what Mozilla removed (not sure)
17:50:31 <GeKo> okay
17:50:52 <GeKo> acat: i think an even better thing to work on in moving #10760 forward, though
17:50:53 <acat> it was a bootstrapped extension, so not sure if that will directly work...
17:51:06 <GeKo> i looked over the proposal and i think the direction is good
17:51:22 <mcs> acat: good point. investigation required :)
17:51:27 <GeKo> (i hope to reply to the mail this week)
17:51:46 <GeKo> s/on in/on is/
17:51:54 <antonela> i have #10760 to review during june, is that right?
17:52:13 <GeKo> sounds good and june is already next wek :)
17:52:16 <GeKo> *week
17:52:23 <antonela> yep, cool
17:52:50 <GeKo> and i guess it will take a bit to get all pieces right, so, yes, june is still good
17:53:25 <GeKo> acat: what do you think about doing #10760 for now and postpone #28822?
17:53:51 <GeKo> i feel i'd like to have the former done first even though we want to have both in the end
17:54:14 <acat> ok, although *I think* most of the proposal work is already done (there is a WIP commit in #30429 branch)
17:54:38 <GeKo> yes, i was not speaking of proposal
17:54:41 <GeKo> work
17:54:44 <mcs> GeKo: How should brade and I prioritize sponsor 27 work vs. rebasing updater patches? I don’t want to slow down the rebase.
17:54:59 <mcs> (which seems to be off to a great start!)
17:55:04 <GeKo> acat: but actually of implementing the proposal
17:55:33 <GeKo> mcs: i think this week doing s27 is still good
17:55:45 <mcs> GeKo: OK; thx
17:55:46 <acat> GeKo: https://github.com/acatarineu/tor-browser/commit/8f841e5ccd0af5b1f73f5f9c74bb0fd866ba4c33
17:56:20 <GeKo> woah, okay!
17:56:29 <GeKo> good stuff
17:56:47 <GeKo> then, yes #28822 sounds like a good thing to work on and i'll go over it during review
17:57:24 <GeKo> mcs: i think we might need this week to clean up the patches acat already rebased
17:57:35 <GeKo> and i guess you could then start next week some time
17:57:44 <mcs> Sounds good
17:57:47 <GeKo> (the former depends on how fast i am)
17:58:40 <GeKo> acat: meanwhile for #10760:
17:58:59 <GeKo> one thing you could think about is how to streamline our localization situation
17:59:16 <GeKo> in the sense that strings are twice translated
17:59:25 <GeKo> because once they come from .dtd files (for android)
17:59:40 <GeKo> and once from .properties files (for !android)
17:59:53 <GeKo> i had hoped to tackle that problem while integrating torbutton
17:59:58 <GeKo> because it is highly annoying
18:00:16 <GeKo> (i'll mention that in my reply mail to your proposal)
18:00:42 <acat> ok
18:00:47 <GeKo> okay, anything else regarding status updates?
18:02:06 <GeKo> discussion then
18:02:23 <GeKo> i added only one item which is tor browser 8.5 fallout
18:02:41 <GeKo> is there anything urgent we should consider/reconsider which i forgot?
18:03:18 <GeKo> can we live with the noscript button not being on the toolbar even though we don't have pers-site security settings directly in the browser yet?
18:03:42 <antonela> haha, i can, but i'm not our users
18:03:51 <mcs> Have a lot of people complained about the NoScript situation, or just a few loud people?
18:04:19 <GeKo> i think there is an interesting spectrum of reactions
18:04:52 <GeKo> there are folks that are concerned that we lead users to about:preferences to make settings changes
18:05:07 <GeKo> given that they land on the page with all the other settings they should not touch
18:05:37 <GeKo> then there are folks that just miss the button and are okay with adding it to the toolbar (at least until we have the per-site settings exposed in the browser)
18:06:00 <GeKo> then there are folks that urge us to put the button back until we have prop 101 fully implemented
18:06:21 <GeKo> but i'd expected more of those with better arguments
18:06:45 <GeKo> but the vast majortiy seems to be okay with it
18:06:58 <GeKo> probably because the icon *is* still there for them as they got the update
18:07:08 <GeKo> (and that was part of the plan actually)
18:07:18 <antonela> all that makes sense
18:07:19 <pospeselr> woo
18:07:48 <GeKo> so from my pov i am inclined to keep going as we did
18:08:08 <mcs> +1
18:08:21 <GeKo> although i could sleep better if we scheduled the remaining work soonish
18:08:30 <GeKo> but that sounds not too realistic right now
18:08:56 <GeKo> not sure yet, i might need to think harder with pili
18:09:03 <antonela> do you think we could consider to have some integration between our shield and firefox shield if they have it available in ESR?
18:09:40 * antonela is thinking about per-site settings, harder
18:09:48 <GeKo> aha
18:10:18 <GeKo> could be an option
18:10:21 <antonela> you dont need to answer me now, just to think about it
18:10:22 <antonela> :)
18:10:46 <GeKo> i think i am in the "whatever works best here" camp
18:10:54 <GeKo> for that feature
18:10:59 <antonela> that is the easy camp, im there too!
18:11:08 <GeKo> haha :)
18:12:12 <antonela> okey, lets think about it, you too pospeselr
18:12:13 <GeKo> i guess it depends for what exactly firefox is using the shield and whether we could blend in with that
18:12:30 <GeKo> i don't know the answer to the former
18:12:44 <antonela> you can play the detective during the next all hand :)
18:12:51 <antonela> *hands
18:13:02 <GeKo> but, yes, anything that helps reducing the implementation effort is welcome here from my pov
18:13:14 <GeKo> i'll keep that in mind, yeah
18:13:38 <GeKo> okay, that's it from my side at least
18:13:45 <GeKo> anything else we should talk about today?
18:15:13 <GeKo> seems we are good
18:15:32 <GeKo> thanks everyone and have a nice week. ping me if i can help you with anything!
18:15:35 <GeKo> *baf*
18:15:38 <antonela> thanks!
18:15:39 <GeKo> #endmeeting