17:30:55 <pili> #startmeeting tor browser 5/20
17:30:55 <MeetBot> Meeting started Mon May 20 17:30:55 2019 UTC.  The chair is pili. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
17:30:55 <MeetBot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
17:31:00 <pili> happy Monday everyone :)
17:31:08 <sysrqb> :)
17:31:18 <pili> GeKo has to be afk for this meeting so he asked me to run it
17:31:29 <pili> he may join in a bit later
17:31:40 <pili> can everyone please update the pad? :)
17:31:47 <boklm> hi
17:31:57 <brade> hi
17:32:12 <antonela> hello!
17:32:25 <pili> https://storm.torproject.org/shared/F09dRrYtqpBwPFw33DkHunVNumsP9q7hgGybxK4Monh
17:32:31 <pili> I think most of you already have it ;)
17:32:37 <pili> I need to update also!
17:33:18 <acat> hi
17:34:55 <sisbell> hi
17:37:46 <pili> ok
17:37:51 <pili> I think most people are done
17:37:59 <pili> let's start with the bold items, sysrqb I think you're up :)
17:38:08 <sysrqb> cool
17:38:29 <sysrqb> okay, while i was looking at google play this weekend, i noticed we can create an "internal testing release"
17:38:56 <sysrqb> i created one for the stable version, so i could test it on my phone
17:39:25 <sysrqb> i'll probably announce this internally, ut if anyone wants to be included in the test group
17:39:41 <sysrqb> and help test new releases befroe we roll them out to everyone, let me know :)
17:39:50 <sysrqb> done.
17:40:19 <pili> ah, nice find
17:40:34 <antonela> i want!
17:40:37 <pili> announcing internally sounds good
17:40:58 <pili> I can be part of this group also
17:40:59 <sysrqb> antonela: heh. i expected that :)
17:41:08 <sysrqb> great
17:41:13 <sysrqb> i'll send an email later, too
17:41:16 <sysrqb> internally
17:41:21 <antonela> good stufff
17:41:39 <mcs> sysrqb: are we planning to use the other Google Play release mechanisms for alpha or beta?
17:42:02 <mcs> or how will we handle having both alpha and release at the same time?
17:42:24 <sysrqb> mcs: maybe. we currently have two distinct apps for stable and alpha releases
17:42:51 <sysrqb> which is how mozilla are releasing their "release", "beta", and "nightly"
17:43:21 <sysrqb> so i think we'll continue with releasing them separately
17:43:27 <mcs> I forgot that is how Mozilla does it. I guess the advantage of separate is that you can have both on the same device.
17:43:39 <sysrqb> exactly
17:43:51 <mcs> I was just curious. thx
17:43:57 <sysrqb> but i would like to take more advantage of these rollout phases
17:44:19 <sysrqb> so we don't go straight to 100% production rollout without any testing
17:44:28 <sysrqb> (or very minimal testing)
17:44:54 <sysrqb> so, work-in-progress for figuring out how to do it best for us, right now
17:45:18 <sysrqb> plus adding in some automation, where possible
17:45:26 <sysrqb> (which fastlane may be useful for this)
17:45:37 <sysrqb> (done, again)
17:46:07 <pili> sysrqb: do you know if there's some way to add external testers, similar to the call we make on the qa list?
17:46:24 <pili> or would we just keep using that and just get them to install the .apk ?
17:46:45 <sysrqb> pili: yes
17:47:02 <sysrqb> and i think that goes with this larger plan
17:47:11 <sysrqb> we can have a closed beta testing phase
17:47:16 <sysrqb> err,
17:47:24 <sysrqb> maybe it's closed "alpha" phase
17:47:33 <sysrqb> and open "beta" testing phase
17:47:54 <sysrqb> i'll look into these more and we can discuss how we should use them
17:47:57 <pili> sounds good :)
17:48:21 <sysrqb> gerat
17:48:24 <sysrqb> *great :)
17:48:44 <pili> how's everything going with the release prep? anyone come up against any blockers atm? :)
17:48:59 <sysrqb> i haven't, yet
17:49:46 * boklm has not heard about any blockers
17:50:30 * pili is just making conversation before the next item... ;)
17:50:54 <pili> anyone else has any items for discussion? otherwise we can move on to deciding a time for next week's meeing
17:51:03 * pospeselr has been off in screen-reader land for too long
17:51:14 <pili> pospeselr: oh dear, any luck?
17:51:41 <pospeselr> good progress has been made, but we're not there yet unfortunately
17:51:54 <pili> shame :/
17:52:05 <pospeselr> i had hoped that everything would just work on Friday with all my compiler patches applied but alas it wasn't to be
17:52:19 <pospeselr> but we've got crashes now whcih is a step in the right direction
17:52:53 <pili> I guess it won't make it in time for the release?
17:53:00 <pospeselr> yeah definitely not
17:53:12 <pospeselr> though i don't think anyone seriously thought it would be in the next release
17:53:17 <pili> fair enough :)
17:53:29 <pili> ok, let's move on to pick a time for next week's meeting, I hear it's a US holiday
17:53:30 <sysrqb> "it must've been bad if crashes are an improvement" :)
17:53:34 <pili> :D
17:53:40 <pospeselr> hah yeah lol
17:53:45 <pili> should we just move the meeting to tuesday same time?
17:53:54 <sysrqb> works for me
17:54:00 <mcs> works for me too
17:54:01 <sisbell> +1
17:54:17 <brade> +1
17:54:22 <acat> +1
17:54:31 * boklm might have an other thing planned on tuesday at that time
17:54:54 <pili> so close... :)
17:54:55 <boklm> but I can probably do at least part of the meeting
17:55:21 <sysrqb> does moving the meeting 30 minutes in earlier/later help?
17:55:43 <sysrqb> s/in//
17:56:41 <boklm> hmm, not really
17:57:49 <sysrqb> pili: do you have a fallback time? :)
17:58:04 <pili> I didn't plan any further... :D
17:58:45 <pili> I think if it's ok with boklm to miss it and everyone else can make it let's go ahead with the same time on tuesday
17:59:02 <boklm> yes, I think we can use this time, and I will maybe miss part of it
18:00:00 <pili> ok, I think that will work, and if you have any updates/discussion points you can remind us that you need to leave so you can go first
18:00:09 <boklm> ok
18:00:46 <pili> great, anything else from anyone?
18:01:55 <pili> ok, I guess we're done
18:02:02 <pili> thanks everyone! :)
18:02:05 <pili> #endmeeting