18:29:48 <GeKo> #startmeeting tor-browser 28/1 2019
18:29:48 <MeetBot> Meeting started Mon Jan 28 18:29:48 2019 UTC.  The chair is GeKo. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
18:29:48 <MeetBot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
18:29:54 <GeKo> hello!
18:29:57 <pospeselr> \o
18:30:07 <sisbell> hi
18:30:22 <GeKo> new time and place, so wait a bit for folks to arrive
18:30:50 <pili> hi
18:31:22 <GeKo> pad is as usual at: https://storm.torproject.org/shared/tHoN4Ii7rLSjPE0OP4gydX4cMGadsXmRQNc-6lwru0N
18:31:26 <GeKo> please enter you items
18:32:19 <sysrqb> o/ hello hi
18:33:54 <boklm> hi
18:35:48 <GeKo> okay, let's start
18:36:59 * GeKo is waiting for sysrqb to check whether the ack+huh item gets bold
18:37:34 * sysrqb reloads page
18:39:30 <GeKo> sysrqb: i guess we can think about what to reply if we want to
18:39:48 <sysrqb> GeKo: i think we dug a deep hole for ourselves when we decided to use 60esr for TBA
18:39:49 <GeKo> i was wondering whether nalexander was not amused about my comment
18:40:16 <sysrqb> probably not :)
18:40:19 <GeKo> well, but to be fair *that* but is unrelated to that
18:40:31 <GeKo> because other folks are hitting it, too
18:40:35 <GeKo> building with mc
18:40:48 <sysrqb> yes, true, but using the same, older, ndk than m-c
18:41:01 <sysrqb> (same as us)
18:41:10 <pospeselr> what's m-c?
18:41:15 <sysrqb> moz-central
18:41:19 <GeKo> mozilla-central
18:41:20 <pospeselr> ah got it
18:41:36 <GeKo> but the up-to-date one is not working properly as well
18:41:39 <GeKo> even with m-c
18:42:05 <GeKo> the reason why mozilla is not hitting this for their builds is because they use in addition to that a custom clang
18:42:11 <GeKo> and not the one from the ndk
18:42:22 <sysrqb> ah. right
18:42:41 <GeKo> so, the mobile toolchains are seriously messed up
18:43:24 <GeKo> so i am not convinced yet we dug us a deep hole toolchain-wise by following the esr
18:43:36 <GeKo> but anyway, just something to think about
18:44:19 <GeKo> mcs: the discussion i meant is the one following boklm's reproducible builds summit report
18:44:26 <sysrqb> yeah.
18:44:26 <sysrqb> sigh.
18:44:33 <sisbell> We can look into upgrading to NDK r18
18:44:55 <mcs> GeKo: got it;l thanks
18:47:24 <GeKo> okay, anything else for status updates for today?
18:48:45 <GeKo> okay, discussion
18:49:02 <GeKo> how are we doing on mobile?
18:49:25 <GeKo> and where are we with out bigger projects for tba-a3?
18:49:29 <GeKo> *our
18:49:44 <GeKo> we had planned to have something ready for this release but did not get to it
18:50:01 <GeKo> so, what's an update to that?
18:50:02 <sysrqb> slightly behind schedule
18:50:19 <sisbell> The Orbot and TOPL stuff should be wrapped up this week
18:51:06 <sisbell> We can plug it into any UI/app after this. Use either Orbot UI or another
18:51:15 <sysrqb> looking at https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/query?status=!closed&keywords=~TBA-a3
18:51:20 <GeKo> sisbell: that sounds neat.
18:51:42 <GeKo> so that would mean we would get rid of an own orbot instance, right?
18:52:43 <sisbell> Yes, we just use the (Orbot) service, communicating back and forth from UI to service through broadcasts
18:53:18 <sisbell> I'll document what the interface looks like.
18:53:25 <GeKo> sysrqb: what changes would that mean to the ui you are working on?
18:53:27 <sysrqb> the OrbotService provides functionality TOPL doesn't provide?
18:53:50 <sysrqb> GeKo: very litt,e i was writing it such that replacing the backend tor service would be simple
18:53:57 <sysrqb> *little
18:54:30 <sisbell> sysrqb: the new service has exactly the same interface as the OrbotService
18:54:45 <GeKo> sysrqb: nice!
18:55:22 <sysrqb> and if we'll continue using the orbotservice with TPOL the i'm not yet sure if anything needs changing
18:56:03 <sysrqb> hrm. okay. i guess i'll see when i look at the ticket and patches :)
18:57:03 <sysrqb> sisbell: does that come with bridge/PT support?
18:57:08 <GeKo> sisbell: could you post patches soon, so that we can start reviewing?
18:57:09 <sysrqb> or will that require any more work?
18:57:24 <GeKo> i expect a bit back and forth and adjustments
18:57:31 <sisbell> sysrqb: PT is in there
18:57:37 <sysrqb> cool
18:57:45 <GeKo> so having this in parallel to ironing last things out would be neat
18:58:05 <sisbell> GeKo: I'm currently adding the commits here: https://github.com/sisbell/Tor_Onion_Proxy_Library/commits/master
18:58:28 <GeKo> sisbell: oh, and where are we with the tor-browser-build integration of that?
18:58:31 <sisbell> I'll need to upload the orbotservice replacement, so that will be another project. I'll ping you when I create the repo
18:58:54 <sisbell> GeKo: I haven't started the tor-browser-build part yet
18:59:01 <GeKo> okay
19:00:19 <GeKo> sisbell: how is the pt part related to #28803?
19:00:36 <GeKo> is the patch there obsolete?
19:00:55 <GeKo> one reason for why i did not look at it yet was that i was not sure about the bigger picture
19:01:03 <GeKo> and how to test it
19:01:32 <sisbell> GeKo: I'm just using the existing PT build for TOPL/Orbot
19:02:07 <sisbell> that will be another integration step to replace the PT libraries with our build
19:02:18 <GeKo> so #28803 is a precondition for that
19:02:20 <GeKo> ?
19:02:33 <GeKo> yes, but that can wait as the tor replacement
19:02:40 <sisbell> No, orbot just uses prebuilt versions so I'm following that for now
19:03:39 <GeKo> ah, so you mean the patch in #28803 is not needed right now?
19:04:10 <sisbell> GeKo: That's correct. I'll address #28803 when doing the tor-browser-build work
19:04:19 <sisbell> but its not needed yet
19:04:29 <GeKo> k, then let me clear the review state, so that we don't waste time
19:05:10 <GeKo> sisbell: so, looking at the work in front of you. when do you expect to have that ready for say final review and nightly builds?
19:05:26 <GeKo> ("that" meaning the whole thing you are working on right now in tor-browser-build)
19:06:00 <sisbell> I'm targeting end of next week for reviews with tor-browser-build
19:06:19 <GeKo> sound reasonable
19:07:37 <GeKo> i will be away ffrom keyboard between 2/13 and 2/22
19:08:09 <GeKo> so that means we should target tba-a3 for the week thereafter
19:08:28 <GeKo> assuming all the review things got hashed out until then
19:08:52 <GeKo> like release on 2/27 or something
19:08:54 <sisbell> Sounds good, I may need to take off a few days of 11th as well
19:09:03 <sisbell> week of 11th
19:09:21 <GeKo> that's later than i had hoped but, hey
19:09:39 <GeKo> sisbell: so having everything ready by then would be extra valuable
19:10:00 <GeKo> sysrqb: how does that sound to you?
19:10:07 <GeKo> igt0: and you?
19:10:20 <GeKo> (igt0 is likely not here, though)
19:11:50 <sysrqb> that works for me
19:12:02 <sysrqb> i sure hope we can hit that target
19:12:22 <GeKo> i guess there is enough tba-a3 work in the meantime so that no one has to wait :)
19:12:29 <GeKo> yes, we should
19:12:44 <GeKo> otherwise we need to think about moving the 8.5 release date
19:13:15 <GeKo> okay, do we have anything else to discuss today?
19:13:46 * sysrqb doesn't have anythign else
19:14:11 <GeKo> sisbell: please let me know asap it case you feel we can't make that planned release date because your work gets delayed
19:14:23 <sisbell> will do
19:14:49 <GeKo> right now targetting feb 8 for that to review is okay with me
19:15:07 <GeKo> *that work
19:15:32 <GeKo> thanks all for the meeting today then *baf*
19:15:34 <sisbell> I would need to do 7th, does that work
19:15:50 <GeKo> the earlier the better :)
19:15:54 <GeKo> #endmeeting