16:00:09 <cohosh> #startmeeting anti-censorship meeting
16:00:09 <MeetBot> Meeting started Thu Aug 12 16:00:09 2021 UTC.  The chair is cohosh. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
16:00:09 <MeetBot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
16:00:13 <cohosh> welcome :)
16:00:23 <hackerncoder> Thanks
16:00:30 <cohosh> here is our meeting pad: https://pad.riseup.net/p/tor-anti-censorship-keep
16:00:41 <cohosh> feel free to add to the agenda
16:01:57 <cohosh> i'll wait a minute or so for people to update the pad
16:02:10 <ggus> o/
16:02:29 <cohosh> hi ggus!
16:02:47 <ggus> hi! i have one item for today :)
16:03:03 <cohosh> awesome :)
16:03:31 <cohosh> okay let's get started
16:03:42 <cohosh> arlolra: i think the first discussion item is from you?
16:03:57 <arlolra> yes
16:04:35 <arlolra> as it says, v3 of the manifest gets rid of background pages in favour of service workers
16:04:58 <arlolra> which, unfortunately, don't support creating peerconnection yet
16:05:05 <dcf1> This was a good thing to find early, thanks arlolra
16:05:16 <cohosh> yeah thanks for getting a head start on this
16:05:34 <cohosh> is there a timeline for cutting off v2 support?
16:05:54 <arlolra> i don't think it's imminent
16:06:16 <dcf1> https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2021/05/27/manifest-v3-update/
16:06:29 <cohosh> snowflake-webext!21 for reference
16:06:42 <dcf1> "As of this writing, we are hoping to complete enough work on this project to support developer testing in Q4 2021 and start accepting v3 submissions in early 2022. This schedule may be pushed back or delayed due to unforeseeable circumstances."
16:06:50 <dcf1> "We have not yet set a deprecation date for Manifest v2 but expect it to be supported for at least one year after Manifest v3 becomes stable in the release channel."
16:07:04 <dcf1> This is from an email from Firefox Add-ons that cohosh and arlolra probably got as well.
16:07:37 <arlolra> yeah, that was the impetus for looking into it
16:07:43 * cohosh finds it in inbox XD
16:08:22 <arlolra> there is an open bug to add support, but it sounds like they're looking for use cases
16:08:32 <cohosh> oh awesome
16:08:47 <arlolra> we should pitch them something
16:09:02 <cohosh> this one? https://github.com/w3c/webrtc-extensions/issues/77
16:09:22 <arlolra> yes
16:09:30 <cohosh> yup sounds good :)
16:09:49 <arlolra> I think I was reading the crbug linked there
16:09:58 <cohosh> do you want to pitch it?
16:10:10 <arlolra> https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1207214
16:10:42 <arlolra> sure, I can at least craft the case and bring it here for others to review
16:11:16 <cohosh> sounds good :)
16:11:41 <cohosh> thanks!
16:12:02 <cohosh> anything else for this?
16:12:14 <arlolra> nope, I merged the other two patches
16:12:30 <cohosh> \o/
16:12:49 <cohosh> okay ggus the mic is all yours :)
16:13:10 <ggus> alright!
16:13:39 <ggus> so this week i started to contact people to find someone from TM
16:14:16 <ggus> as the direct tor connections are declining since july
16:14:33 <ggus> https://metrics.torproject.org/userstats-relay-country.html?start=2021-05-14&end=2021-08-12&country=tm&events=off
16:14:58 <ggus> one person answered this call and it's helping me to test.
16:16:01 <cohosh> very nice that you were able to find someone
16:16:32 <ggus> they installed tor browser for android, but they couldn't connect using obfs4, meek-azure and snowflake. so i provided a private bridge and it worked
16:16:59 <ggus> i also asked them to run emma, http://emma.mhgb.net/ but they couldn't visit the website.
16:17:44 <dcf1> ggus: private bridge was obfs4 or OR protocol?
16:18:05 <ggus> so today i emailed tobias and asked him the source code, meanwhile i'm trying to host a mirror here: http://emma.gus.computer/
16:18:09 <ggus> dcf1: obfs4
16:18:38 <cohosh> hmm, i don't see any OONI data from TM
16:18:45 <ggus> yeah :/
16:19:18 <dcf1> FYI, NTC has a subforum for Turkmenistan, https://ntc.party/c/internet-censorship-all-around-the-world/turkmenistan/17
16:19:18 <ggus> i'm thinking the next steps: if we want to ask them to run ooni or what
16:19:21 <cohosh> i can check our default bridge usage metrics
16:19:39 <cohosh> yeah i think an ooni test would be useful
16:20:06 <ggus> i will add this info on the ticket
16:20:39 <ggus> dcf1: oh i didn't know. thanks for sharing
16:21:58 <ggus> i think that's all from me and TM. let me know if emma.gus.computer works.
16:22:40 <ggus> i copied that this morning before my coffee, so maybe something is not working correctly.
16:22:57 <cohosh> ggus: it works for me on chromium
16:23:17 <cohosh> ... and firefox :)
16:23:19 <ggus> yay!
16:24:31 <cohosh> thanks for working on this ggus!
16:26:01 <cohosh> any more discussion for today?
16:26:09 <cohosh> or things anyone needs help with?
16:26:15 <hackerncoder> Just a question
16:26:28 <cohosh> hackerncoder: go for it!
16:27:10 <dcf1> hi hackerncoder, I see you sometimes being helpful on reddit threads, thanks for that
16:27:36 <hackerncoder> I'm smashing together all the gettor scripts so we can have something to automatically update, should I also implement only 1 archive.org item or collection: https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/anti-censorship/rdsys/-/issues/32#note_2738854
16:27:48 <hackerncoder> np dcf1
16:28:38 <cohosh> hackerncoder: yeah if you're working on the scripts now and you're able to tackle that, it would be great
16:28:47 <cohosh> thank you for working on this
16:28:47 <hackerncoder> I'll do that then.
16:29:25 <cohosh> do you need any other help or feedback from us so far for this work?
16:30:01 <ggus> quick thing: today is happening elections in Zambia. please feel free to add more stuff on the ticket. and later we can push to metrics-timeline: https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/community/support/-/issues/40032
16:30:27 <hackerncoder> I have no idea how rclone works, that's what is used for google drive
16:31:45 <hackerncoder> Does it need to be run pointing at a specific folder?
16:32:02 <cohosh> hackerncoder: hm, i am also not very familiar with it i found these specs when i first started working on gettor: https://rclone.org/drive/
16:33:58 <cohosh> yes, if i'm understanding your question correctly
16:34:18 <cohosh> you specify the local file or folder you want to copy and where it should go at the remote
16:34:48 <cohosh> git there is also a configuration step you need to run first
16:35:02 <cohosh> and our script here assumes you have run it already: https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/anti-censorship/gettor-project/gettor/-/blob/main/scripts/update_files#L35
16:36:07 <hackerncoder> I was more thinking about how git uses a .git folder and so if you run git somewhere else then it won't understand what you are doing, does rclone do the same?
16:37:44 <cohosh> ah no
16:37:54 <hackerncoder> Ok, that makes it easier
16:38:24 <cohosh> :)
16:39:11 * cohosh waits a few more minutes to see if there's anything else for the day
16:39:19 <dcf1> Zooming out the Turkmenistan graph is interesting. The recent decrease is actually returning to the level at the beginning of 2021.
16:39:22 <dcf1> https://people.torproject.org/~dcf/metrics-country.html?start=2020-01-01&end=2021-08-12&country=tm
16:40:38 <cohosh> oh good catch dcf1
16:41:23 <cohosh> still, it's puzzling that vanilla tor and the default bridges setting appeared to not work
16:45:18 <cohosh> the default bridge usage stats are so low: https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/community/support/-/issues/40030#note_2747204
16:45:33 <cohosh> which is weird considering the much higher bridge usage counts
16:48:01 <cohosh> okay i think i'll end the meeting here, and we can continue discussion elsewhere
16:48:07 <cohosh> #endmeeting