17:00:36 <donuts> #startmeeting ux weekly sync
17:00:36 <MeetBot> Meeting started Tue Feb 22 17:00:36 2022 UTC.  The chair is donuts. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
17:00:36 <MeetBot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
17:00:41 <championquizzer> o/
17:00:48 <nah> hello
17:00:54 <nicob> \o
17:00:58 <donuts> hi everyone 😂
17:01:07 <donuts> pad is here, as always: https://pad.riseup.net/p/tor-ux-team-2022-keep
17:01:39 <donuts> welcome to a new week
17:02:15 <donuts> just one quick announcement today: a new alpha was released for desktop on friday(?)
17:02:55 <donuts> the next release should be 11.0.7 stable in a couple of weeks' time
17:03:09 <donuts> okay, let's update the weekly planning section of the pad
17:03:20 <donuts> reminder to please highlight anything you'd like to discuss in bold
17:03:32 <donuts> and also review and update the team kanban too
17:03:40 <donuts> https://gitlab.torproject.org/groups/tpo/-/boards?scope=all&label_name[]=UX%20Team
17:07:31 <donuts> how are we doing nah/nicob/
17:07:33 <donuts> *?
17:08:00 <nah> good!
17:08:03 <nah> and done
17:08:14 <nicob> done! also good lol
17:08:36 <donuts> great, looks like your item's the only thing to discuss nicob :)
17:08:41 <donuts> "Onion sticker re-design sketching"
17:08:53 <emmapeel> o/
17:08:59 <nah> :D
17:09:24 <nicob> oh ok! Just a quick question really donuts, did you have any suggestions for next steps? It seems like we were at a stand-still for processes at this point
17:09:32 <nicob> https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/operations/fundraising/-/issues/84
17:09:41 <donuts> by the sounds of things I think fundraising are open to new ideas
17:09:54 <nicob> okay so I should keep exploring
17:10:07 <donuts> yeah, without the restrictions we previously discussed
17:10:15 <donuts> I guess we could wrap this up with 3 options
17:10:24 <donuts> the original sticket, a revised version, and a totally new version
17:10:31 <donuts> if that sounds good?
17:10:32 <nicob> that sounds great to me
17:10:34 <nicob> thanks!
17:10:38 <donuts> awesome!
17:10:57 <donuts> also congrats on launching the CfP nah!
17:11:01 <nah> \o/
17:11:10 <nah> hope we get many volunteers
17:11:18 <donuts> I need to follow you're lead and do the same with the tor-qa survey 😂
17:11:29 <donuts> I think it's good to go though, just needs activated and emailed
17:11:43 <donuts> me too nah 🤞
17:12:09 <donuts> it looks like we haven't received a lot of feedback on the user stories, let's chat next steps after the meeting tomorrow on that front
17:12:17 <donuts> I'll send around a reminder shortly
17:12:28 <nah> i was going to suggest a reminder as well :)
17:13:00 <nah> our survey for feedback on digital security needs didn't get answers, so i sent a reminder today
17:13:06 <nah> and some ppl already replied
17:13:16 <donuts> I'll do that -> then meeting minutes -> then tor-qa after lunch
17:13:20 <donuts> I saw that too, that's great!
17:14:01 <donuts> okay I added a new evergreen item to our agenda either last week or the week before
17:14:04 <donuts> and that is...
17:14:10 <championquizzer> yes!
17:14:17 <donuts> 💃 3. Check-in with user support 🕺
17:14:25 <nah> haha
17:14:31 <emmapeel> :D
17:14:34 <donuts> how's it going championquizzer? :D
17:15:23 <championquizzer> nothing major to highlight this week, i think most q's we got was around verifying tor (little-t) signature..
17:15:41 <championquizzer> https://forum.torproject.net/t/release-0-4-5-12-and-0-4-6-10/2024/6
17:15:53 <championquizzer> https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/web/support/-/issues/286
17:15:59 <championquizzer> (is fixed now)
17:16:19 <donuts> aha, good!
17:16:33 <donuts> looks like there's an MR for the Android downloads issue in the works too?
17:16:41 <championquizzer> yep!
17:16:41 <donuts> https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/applications/android-components/-/merge_requests/80
17:17:24 <donuts> ah, in fact it looks like there's some reading I need to catch up on on that subject too
17:17:30 * donuts is looking at https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/applications/android-components/-/issues/40075
17:17:48 <donuts> okay, I'll catch up on that this afternoon too
17:17:56 <championquizzer> one quick note regarding surveys, we are using the tag 'research' for all survey related posts on the forum now:
17:18:01 <championquizzer> https://forum.torproject.net/tag/research
17:18:21 <donuts> oh great to know, ty
17:18:24 <championquizzer> so if you publish a new survey feel free to use that tag :)
17:18:34 <donuts> I think our current surveys will be private initially
17:18:40 <nah> yep
17:18:44 <donuts> (the S101 call for participation and the tor-qa survey)
17:18:51 <championquizzer> right!
17:18:58 <donuts> but we'll use it for the features survey if we distribute that publicly
17:19:16 <championquizzer> just wanted to note since we have been discussing in the past few weeks
17:19:26 <donuts> for sure, thanks championquizzer!
17:19:40 <championquizzer> yw!
17:19:54 <donuts> is that everything from the user support department for today? :D
17:20:11 <emmapeel> i have a feedback
17:20:17 <donuts> go for it emmapeel!
17:20:24 <championquizzer> donuts: yes, lemme know if you have any questions
17:20:36 <emmapeel> i pasted it before on tor-ux
17:20:42 <emmapeel> let me repaste
17:21:18 <donuts> ah yep I see it
17:21:20 <emmapeel> i think we should say to users not to add more than 3 bridges when running Tor or Tor Browser. sometimes users may add like 30 bridges in the hope that one of them will work, but i think that makes tor take long to connect because it has to time out on a lot of offline bridges
17:22:00 <donuts> if that is the case a warning in the provide a bridge modal also be appropriate
17:22:04 <emmapeel> i am not sure where to report this. in tor, in Tor Browser?
17:22:27 <donuts> we also discussed the possibility of soft errors during bootstrapping too, I could imagine this being one of them
17:22:39 <emmapeel> yes
17:22:47 <nah> it would be useful to warn the user which one of the bridges are offline as well
17:23:10 <donuts> emmapeel: yeah it kind of depends on what approach we want to take
17:23:14 <donuts> hrm
17:24:14 <donuts> you could add it as a comment to the open ticket for the bridge modal maybe emmapeel
17:24:20 * donuts goes searching...
17:25:05 <donuts> https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/applications/tor-browser/-/issues/40552
17:25:29 <donuts> actually that's maybe not suitable
17:25:52 <donuts> okay, feel free to open a ticket in applications and someone can move it to Tor later if they want :)
17:28:01 * donuts has just sent the reminder to the vpn list
17:28:36 <donuts> nah: yeah, I wonder if/how we can do that
17:28:49 <donuts> the current designs only display the bridges that actively get used
17:28:57 <nah> during bootstrapping, maybe?!
17:29:33 <donuts> one other thing to consider is it'll only log the bridges that fail, presumably
17:29:53 <donuts> nah: I was actually thinking in the redesigned settings modal
17:30:07 <donuts> but also maybe with soft errors during bootstrapping too
17:31:33 <nah> hmm
17:32:32 <donuts> okay, let's have a think about this :3
17:32:40 <donuts> anything else for today or shall I adjourn the meeting?
17:33:07 <nicob> all good for me personally
17:33:57 <donuts> closing in 3...
17:33:59 <donuts> 2...
17:34:01 <donuts> 1...
17:34:01 <championquizzer> thanks all! o/
17:34:04 <donuts> #endmeeting