14:00:29 <hellais> #startmeeting OONI Community meeting 2021-07-27
14:00:29 <MeetBot> Meeting started Tue Jul 27 14:00:29 2021 UTC.  The chair is hellais. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
14:00:29 <MeetBot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
14:00:55 <slacktopus> <agrabeli> <here> Hello everyone! Welcome to the *July 2021 OONI Community Meeting*. :) :ooni::sparkles:
14:01:01 <slacktopus> <agrabeli> How are you doing?
14:01:10 <slacktopus> <agrabeli> Who has joined us today? :)
14:01:21 <slacktopus> <gus934> Doing well! o/
14:01:34 <slacktopus> <hellais> Hello! Arturo from OONI here
14:01:38 <slacktopus> <agrabeli> Hi @gus934! Thank you for joining us today :)
14:01:59 <slacktopus> <agrabeli> Greetings! I'm Maria from OONI :)
14:02:15 <slacktopus> <agrabeli> As you join, please feel encouraged to introduce yourselves (even asynchronously) :)
14:02:34 <slacktopus> <agrabeli> As part of the meeting today, we'll be discussing the topics in this pad: https://pad.riseup.net/p/ooni-community-meeting-keep
14:02:47 <slacktopus> <agrabeli> ^^ Please feel encouraged to add any other topics you'd like to discuss in the pad :)
14:03:23 <slacktopus> <xhdix> Hi <3:wave:
14:03:38 <slacktopus> <agrabeli> Hey @xhdix! Great to see you :)
14:03:51 <slacktopus> <xhdix> Thanks! :D
14:03:59 <slacktopus> <sbs> Hello, I'm Simone and I work for OONI! :sparkles:
14:04:34 <slacktopus> <sarath_ms> :wave: Hello everyone. I'm Sarath also from the OONI team! :ooni:
14:05:13 <slacktopus> <agrabeli> So while more people join and add more topics to the above agenda, we can start off with the 1st topic -- which is an update and call for community feedback :)
14:05:29 <slacktopus> <gus934> This is Gus, from the Tor Project.
14:05:30 <slacktopus> <agrabeli> #topic 1. New web platform for updating the Citizen Lab test lists: Request for community feedback
14:06:19 <slacktopus> <agrabeli> So we're building a web platform for updating the Citizen Lab test lists -- this will enable community members to update the lists of websites tested by OONI Probe without having to use GitHub (yay!) :)
14:06:32 <slacktopus> <agrabeli> and I'm excited to share that we have a private beta version ready, and we'd love your feedback. :)
14:06:44 <slacktopus> <agrabeli> You can access it here: https://test-lists.test.ooni.org/ (you need to add an email address and username to log in)
14:06:55 <slacktopus> <agrabeli> This particular endpoint is configured to submit pull requests to a test repository (https://github.com/ooni-bot/test-lists/), so feel encouraged to use it as much you like. ;P
14:07:05 <slacktopus> <agrabeli> We'd appreciate it if you could please play around with the interface and let us know if you have any feedback for improvement. Please feel encouraged to share it with other test list researchers as well, but please note that this is not public yet.
14:07:18 <slacktopus> <agrabeli> We're eager to make this web platform as useful to the community as possible, so any feedback you have would be greatly appreciated!
14:07:25 <slacktopus> <agrabeli> You can share your feedback with us via email (contact@openobservatory.org), or by opening a ticket here: https://github.com/ooni/test-lists-ui/issues
14:07:41 <slacktopus> <agrabeli> And you can also ping my colleagues @sarath_ms and @hellais :)
14:08:48 <slacktopus> <agrabeli> You can also join the test-lists channel (here on Slack) and share your feedback there, see what feedback others have already shared, and generally participate in relevant discussions
14:09:57 <slacktopus> <agrabeli> Does anyone perhaps have any questions or feedback based on this platform?
14:10:05 <slacktopus> <agrabeli> Or any other thoughts/ideas you'd like to share?
14:12:10 <slacktopus> <agrabeli> Otherwise we can move on to the next agenda topic...
14:13:12 <slacktopus> <sbs> I tried to add an URL that's already existing except that I used `https` rather than `http`
14:13:19 <slacktopus> <sbs> the URL was added here: https://github.com/ooni-bot/test-lists/pull/9
14:13:28 <slacktopus> <sbs> not sure whether this is intended behaviour?
14:14:42 <slacktopus> <hellais> Yes a duplicate is considered such only if the entire URL matches. We don’t check for duplicates with a varying prefix.
14:14:56 <slacktopus> <agrabeli> @sbs great question! If I'm not mistaken, if the `https` version of the URL doesn't already exist in the country-specific + global test lists, then you should be allowed to add it. It only prevents you from adding duplicates if it has the exact same http prefix. But I think @sarath_ms or @hellais can confirm.
14:15:05 <slacktopus> <hitmanarky> I have submitted a bunch of minor feature requests. The workflow could be greatly simplified to enable people with limited technical skills to contribute.
14:15:27 <slacktopus> <hellais> If we decide to do this we would have to first clean up the master test-lists which currently contain URLs which in some cases will be in both http and https
14:15:37 <slacktopus> <agrabeli> @hitmanarky thanks a million!! <3
14:16:48 <slacktopus> <xhdix> What is the difference between the `comment` section and the `note`, and where will the `comment` be stored?
14:17:16 <slacktopus> <agrabeli> Ideally Web Connectivity would check for both the `http` and `https` (if it's supported) versions of a site, but I guess that deserves a longer discussion (with regards to restructuring the methodology).
14:17:17 <slacktopus> <hellais> The comment is basically what is going to appear in the git commit message, while the note is the note field of the citizenlab test-lists repository
14:17:58 <slacktopus> <agrabeli> But I agree with @xhdix, we should probably make it clearer what the difference between the 2 is.
14:19:35 <slacktopus> <agrabeli> Any other quick feedback or questions?
14:19:51 <slacktopus> <hitmanarky> Anonymous submissions are possible?
14:19:55 <slacktopus> <sbs> I guess this is a very nice step forward to help people! :+1:
14:20:40 <slacktopus> <hellais> @hitmanarky an email address is required to sign up for an account. We need to do this in order to prevent malicous/spammy submissions.
14:20:49 <slacktopus> <hitmanarky> Gotcha!
14:22:35 <slacktopus> <agrabeli> We'd appreciate it if you all could play around with the platform after the meeting, and share further feedback with us <3
14:22:46 <slacktopus> <agrabeli> Unless there are other questions, we could move on to the next agenda topic
14:23:11 <slacktopus> <agrabeli> #topic 2. Adding signal under im for debial ubuntu users.
14:23:30 <slacktopus> <agrabeli> ^^ Would the person who added this agenda topic like to start the discussion? :)
14:24:26 <slacktopus> <hellais> The signal test should already be part of the im test group for ubuntu and debian users
14:24:42 <slacktopus> <hellais> Can the person that wrote this clarify what they mean exactly by this?
14:26:12 <slacktopus> <agrabeli> (On Linux, you can run the Signal test via OONI Probe CLI: https://ooni.org/install/cli/ubuntu-debian)
14:28:46 <slacktopus> <agrabeli> Hm, I think the person who added this agenda topic may not be with us... Perhaps we can circle back to it when/if they join :)
14:29:08 <slacktopus> <agrabeli> In the meanwhile, I see there's a 3rd agenda topic in the pad :heart_eyes:
14:29:22 <slacktopus> <agrabeli> #topic 3. Backend proxy for probe-desktop and probe-cli [xhdix]
14:29:41 <slacktopus> <agrabeli> ^^ thank you @xhdix! Would you like to start the discussion?
14:31:27 <slacktopus> <xhdix> Thanks. When can we have it? We still sometimes have communication problems with the probe-services in some old devices in Iran.
14:32:40 <slacktopus> <sbs> can you qualify old devices?
14:32:55 <slacktopus> <agrabeli> (Thank you @xhdix for brining this to our attention. :pray:)
14:34:03 <slacktopus> <xhdix> Intel Atom (Microprocessor)
14:34:51 <slacktopus> <xhdix> I have Debain on it. I have not examined further yet.
14:34:56 <slacktopus> <sbs> yeah, I can see why this can be a problem
14:35:14 <slacktopus> <sbs> on this topic, there are things we should keep in mind:
14:36:03 <slacktopus> <sbs> • we're working on TLS parroting and we should explore using parroting also for communicating with the backend (requires some more work than the work we have been doing so far, where we have mainly been focused on measuring)
14:36:34 <slacktopus> <sbs> • the thing you ask for is the logic continuation of the proxy implementation for mobile and should be the quickest thing to do
14:37:02 <slacktopus> <sbs> • we should ensure we're proxying the communication with the web connectivity test helper, if we're not doing it already
14:37:47 <slacktopus> <sbs> • we stashed plans to automatically switch over to Psiphon when needed, but this is still one of the possible future steps
14:38:32 <slacktopus> <sbs> this is roughly the set of improvements in the proxy area that I see we need to push for
14:38:40 <slacktopus> <sbs> regarding your question about _when_
14:39:46 <slacktopus> <sbs> I think I'd rather not give binding promises, but your input is valuable to remind us that we need to keep this as high priority
14:40:07 <slacktopus> <sbs> it's a bit difficult for me to talk about planning and priority since I'm back after two weeks away
14:40:23 <slacktopus> <sbs> so I may be able to have all of this more clear in the coming days
14:40:40 <slacktopus> <sbs> maybe someone of my colleagues who's more fresh has the full set of things we want to do clearer than me, though
14:41:08 <slacktopus> <sbs> mmm, with more fresh I mean "has loaded all the priorities in their working memory" since I'm basically still swapping a lot
14:41:14 <slacktopus> <sbs> (good vacation does this?)
14:41:47 <slacktopus> <xhdix> Thank you @sbs! <3
14:43:07 <slacktopus> <hellais> Yeah we don’t have a solid date for this (as per roadmap), but my understanding is that it should be achievable within a sprint worth of work, so we can maybe aim to have it done within the next couple of releases of probe-desktop
14:43:52 <slacktopus> <hellais> The relevant issue for this work is the following: https://github.com/ooni/probe/issues/1489. I am tentatively putting it in the sprint in September so it doesn’t fall off our radar when triaging issues
14:44:25 <slacktopus> <sbs> thank you!
14:45:26 <slacktopus> <agrabeli> So it looks like we don't have any other agenda topics: https://pad.riseup.net/p/ooni-community-meeting-keep
14:45:47 <slacktopus> <agrabeli> Is there perhaps some other topic anyone here would like to discuss..? :)
14:45:56 <slacktopus> <agrabeli> (we have about 15 minutes left)
14:46:31 <slacktopus> <agrabeli> Any OONI-related questions or feedback? Or perhaps censorship updates you'd like to share?
14:47:58 <slacktopus> <agrabeli> Or perhaps updates from your organizations that you'd like to share..? :)
14:49:43 <slacktopus> <agrabeli> (Speaking of updates -- please update to *OONI Probe Mobile 3.2.0*: https://ooni.org/install/mobile :sparkles:)
14:50:24 <slacktopus> <agrabeli> Based on community feedback, OONI Probe Mobile 3.2.0 includes: • Reminder to enable automated testing • Badge indicating when a backend proxy is being used • Ability to minimize running tests (and explore the rest of your measurements)
14:51:33 <slacktopus> <xhdix> I have a post about OONI in Persian. If someone wants to introduce censorship measurement with OONI in Persian, it might be a good source. https://wikicensorship.github.io/fa/docs/measure-internet-censorship/OONI/
14:52:27 <slacktopus> <agrabeli> Thank you @xhdix --- that's *amazing*!!! <3<3<3
14:53:16 <slacktopus> <xhdix> It's my pleasure. <3:blob-octopus:
14:54:01 <slacktopus> <sbs> yeah, absolutely excellent work!
14:54:21 <slacktopus> <xhdix> Thank you
14:54:29 <slacktopus> <hellais> That’s epic! Thanks so much for doing it!
14:55:09 <slacktopus> <xhdix> You're welcome! <3:ooni:
14:56:11 <slacktopus> <agrabeli> And if others create OONI related materials too, please feel encouraged to share them here with the community -- we're also extremely happy to help promote them! <3
14:57:29 <slacktopus> <agrabeli> In other news, the Tor Project has 3 develop job openings: https://www.torproject.org/about/jobs/ :heart_eyes:
14:58:00 <slacktopus> <agrabeli> ^^ Please help promote this with your networks. :pray:
14:59:24 <slacktopus> <agrabeli> So as we have no more agenda topics, and we're at the hour, we could end the meeting here.
14:59:43 <slacktopus> <agrabeli> Thank you everyone for joining us today! :)<3
15:00:02 <slacktopus> <agrabeli> The next monthly OONI Community Meeting will take place at 14:00 UTC on Tuesday, 31st August 2021.
15:00:15 <slacktopus> <agrabeli> I'll share a reminder with ooni-talk and this Slack channel as usual.
15:00:34 <slacktopus> <agrabeli> Thank you everyone! Hope you all have a great day/night! Stay safe <3
15:00:51 <hellais> #endmeeting