Started logging meeting in #olpc-europe, times are UTC.
[18:03:28] <crazy-chris>
[18:03:38] <ryd> crazy-chris: I thing, this will be a short meeting
[18:03:39] <crazy-chris> #topic 1. Welcome
[18:03:47] <crazy-chris> ryd: maybe :)
[18:04:00] <crazy-chris> hi everyone!
[18:04:06] <The> hi CC
[18:04:39] <mvn071> hi
[18:05:27] <ryd> I thing, we will wait 5 minutes to give the rest a chance to join
[18:05:37] * crazy-chris nods
[18:06:01] <ryd> s/thing/think/
[18:06:16] <phil_praxis> hi!
[18:06:26] <crazy-chris> hey!
[18:06:27] <phil_praxis> Phil from OLPC France @
[18:06:30] <phil_praxis> hi crazy-chris !
[18:07:56] <crazy-chris> since we don't really have any points on the agenda, we can start throwing in topic...
[18:07:57] <ryd> phil_praxis: is florian there?
[18:10:04] <mvn071> I just added "spare part exchange" on the wiki
[18:10:32] <crazy-chris> great
[18:11:14] <phil_praxis> Not yet
[18:11:16] <phil_praxis> he is coming
[18:11:44] <phil_praxis> ryd: he should be there shortly, depending on public transportation i guess
[18:11:58] <crazy-chris> it's 19:10. let's start?
[18:12:14] <The> yip
[18:12:33] <crazy-chris> #topic 2. who volunteers for writing a short summary?
[18:12:55] <The> ! will
[18:13:02] <crazy-chris> thanks The
[18:13:12] <crazy-chris> #action 'The' writes a summary
[18:13:30] <crazy-chris> logs can be found here:
[18:13:36] <crazy-chris> meetbot summary:
[18:13:46] <The> ok
[18:13:49] <crazy-chris> #topic 3. topic ideas
[18:14:00] <crazy-chris> we have: newsletter, spare-part-exchange
[18:14:23] <crazy-chris> what do you want to talk about / discuss?
[18:15:13] <crazy-chris> we can find topic while talking about the others as well...
[18:15:13] <The> Standings per country
[18:15:17] <phil_praxis> First online meeting for me, I'm mostly listening. Ready to give an account of recent contacts / projects
[18:15:46] <crazy-chris> phil_praxis: that would be great
[18:15:59] <crazy-chris> i thought about mentioning opencv
[18:16:16] <crazy-chris> well, then let's start and collect more ideas while talking
[18:16:20] <phil_praxis> ok
[18:16:23] <crazy-chris> #topic 4. topics
[18:16:29] <crazy-chris> #topic 4.1. newsletter
[18:16:49] <crazy-chris> i have too little time at the moment to work at another issue
[18:16:59] <crazy-chris> but i'd be willing to help
[18:17:12] <crazy-chris> the next one won't be out the next 2 weeks i guess
[18:17:39] <crazy-chris> i'd suggest to drop a mail to the grassroots mailing list about this
[18:18:17] * crazy-chris thinks, we should send a reminder before the next meeting :)
[18:18:26] <phil_praxis> definitely.
[18:18:33] <crazy-chris> #idea send reminder for next olpc meeting to the grassroots list
[18:18:41] <crazy-chris> #topic 4.2 spare parts exchange
[18:19:17] <mvn071> oke, I started some repairing /recylcing center
[18:19:54] <crazy-chris> did you get your hands on xo's yet?
[18:20:03] <mvn071> for the moment I can use one screen (broken) one mobo (to to enigenren
[18:20:12] <phil_praxis> Are we talking specifically about repairing/recycling center for XO only? Or are there some "hybrid" repair/recycling with XO / PC / EEE / Classmates / ... ?
[18:20:40] <mvn071> I like all hardware but lets focus on XO
[18:20:55] <phil_praxis> ok.
[18:21:14] <mvn071> I have one XO that might be repaired if had a screen
[18:21:47] <mvn071> I have request for wifi chip (mobo) to reverse engeneer it
[18:21:49] <crazy-chris> okay. i know of one xo in denmark which has no battery pack, one broken (?) laptop in northern germany, and one broken screen in austria
[18:22:07] <crazy-chris> and another broken on in austria -- some hardware issue...
[18:22:27] <crazy-chris> maybe you could get the one from germany and try to repair it
[18:22:27] <mvn071> For this meeting, i think we could make a list on the wiki.
[18:22:47] <mvn071> of spare parts and to be repaired XO's
[18:22:51] <crazy-chris> very good idea
[18:23:05] <mvn071> focus on Europe and later per Country
[18:23:05] <ryd> sounds fine
[18:23:26] <The> This is only the beginning, there will be more to come ....
[18:23:29] <mvn071> Where shall I put it
[18:23:31] <crazy-chris> #action crazy-chris tries to make a contact between the broken xo in germany and mvn071
[18:23:51] <crazy-chris> maybe somewhere below [[OLPC Europe]]
[18:23:58] <mvn071> :) thanks
[18:24:20] <sj_> #idea autotranslate the next announcement into swedish chef, to get more chefs
[18:25:54] <crazy-chris> sj_: the laptop i was talking about in germany is the one from the lx700 project from the ccc
[18:26:03] <crazy-chris> it's broken :(
[18:26:18] <crazy-chris>
[18:26:56] <crazy-chris> #action mvn071 creates a wiki-page for spare parts and broken laptops
[18:27:22] <mvn071>
[18:27:25] <mvn071> done :)
[18:27:33] <crazy-chris> perfect!
[18:28:32] <phil_praxis> #link
[18:28:54] <phil_praxis> ah ok.... get to understand meetbot here ;-)
[18:29:01] <phil_praxis> (oops)
[18:29:08] <crazy-chris> no problem :)
[18:29:20] <crazy-chris> #topic 4.3 Standings per country
[18:29:28] <sj_> #action send a "broken laptop" email to
[18:29:37] <phil_praxis> (FYI ryd: Florian is still in train and won't be able to attend)
[18:29:54] <The> Is there a way to get a sheet per country to comkpare there standings
[18:30:06] <crazy-chris> standings in what means?
[18:30:10] <ryd> phil_praxis: ok, thanks - I have to leave too
[18:30:38] <The> what are they doining
[18:30:44] <The> what have they done
[18:30:51] <The> where are they headed
[18:31:04] <sj_> we were just taling about this in the learnig workshop today
[18:31:11] <The> in this way we could easely connect to those country that are ahead
[18:31:13] <sj_> for countries organizing trial and real deployments
[18:31:42] <phil_praxis> ok, something like a per-country internal / progress page ?
[18:32:02] <crazy-chris> that would certainly be a interesting page on the wiki
[18:32:04] <sj_> crazy-chris, do you have the projectdb set up on d.l.o yet? do you still need some other server?
[18:32:06] <The> yes but in real steps and not in what they supposed to do next year or so
[18:32:18] <sj_> phil : that's a good start
[18:32:41] <crazy-chris> re projectdb: no status since last mail from aaron with cc to you
[18:32:42] <sj_> phil : and an interface easier than the wiki itself -- a pretty form that happesn to post to a wiki page...
[18:32:53] <sj_> crazy-chris, do you have an account on d.l.o ?
[18:33:02] <crazy-chris> yeah, for the git thing
[18:33:06] <sj_> shell access?
[18:33:12] <crazy-chris> not yet
[18:33:19] <crazy-chris> i'd love to proceed on the projectdb
[18:33:26] <crazy-chris> there's already a lot of time in it :)
[18:33:46] <crazy-chris> so shell access, php+1 mysql db
[18:33:52] <sj_> yes
[18:34:28] <mvn071> is there is link to it ?
[18:34:34] <sj_> the country-info could probably be managed with semantic mediawiki
[18:34:50] <sj_> without an official db
[18:34:57] <mvn071> yes, better
[18:35:03] <crazy-chris> yeah. but a backend makes the tracking easier
[18:35:15] <crazy-chris> because it needs to be easy for users
[18:35:38] <crazy-chris> and a wiki is exploding with some hundret laptops spawning a few thousand projects
[18:35:49] <crazy-chris> maybe it's possible -- but with a very good structure only
[18:36:08] <phil_praxis> yes... actually for these kind of thing, internally at /tmp/lab we use Trac which is good and can differentiate between multiple project in the same Trac. my 2 cents
[18:36:26] <sj_> chris : if we have lots of project info on the wiki, that is a good solution to other problems
[18:36:31] <phil_praxis> Wiki is fine for us for progress report also.
[18:36:33] <sj_> people who care about math want to be able to spend hours organizing math projects
[18:36:48] <sj_> and people who are new volunteers want a list of well organized / categorized / commented projects to find one to add to
[18:36:58] <crazy-chris> yeah
[18:37:13] <mvn071> and wiki is very nice decentralized
[18:37:21] <sj_> I look forward to the day when we can give every new volunteer something to do in one hour :) "clean up [topic you care about]"
[18:37:37] <sj_> we finally got there with health and many new people got involved
[18:37:56] <sj_> if people send me a 1 paragraph summary of what they are doing in their (city, country)
[18:38:10] <sj_> with # of XOs, names of schools, and any open plans for future projects
[18:38:20] <sj_> I will add it to ed's google map tonight when he puts it up
[18:38:37] <The> back to the topic ?
[18:38:39] <mvn071> how do you want it?
[18:39:47] <crazy-chris> sj_: let's talk about the future of projectdb with mail, and maybe have some plan until next meeting
[18:40:01] <mvn071> sj_: the user space in wiki could do that either
[18:40:46] <crazy-chris> and back to the topic of the list of groups and what they have done and are doing
[18:40:54] <crazy-chris> i think this would be very interesting for the european groups
[18:41:22] <crazy-chris> The: you could start a page on the wiki, and we try to build a list
[18:42:06] <The> OK, link ?
[18:42:44] <crazy-chris> maybe
[18:42:52] <crazy-chris> or something like that
[18:42:57] <crazy-chris> pick any you want
[18:43:02] <phil_praxis> Progress would be better maybe
[18:43:02] <crazy-chris> we can move it anytime
[18:43:07] * crazy-chris nods
[18:43:24] <crazy-chris>
[18:43:57] <The> beautiful
[18:44:19] <crazy-chris> #topic 5. any other business
[18:44:54] <mvn071> apachecon ?
[18:45:20] <crazy-chris> apachecon
[18:45:40] <crazy-chris> i've talked once to the organizers, and they said it should be possible. i've heard nothing of them since
[18:46:15] <mvn071> can I help? (life 30 min from Amsterdam)
[18:46:35] <crazy-chris> perfect. i'm very busy anyway :/
[18:47:01] <crazy-chris> i'll contact you via mail and we make the contact with them together / or you could do it
[18:47:20] <crazy-chris> maybe also worth a mail to the grassroots list
[18:47:33] <mvn071> ack
[18:48:03] <crazy-chris> #action chris writes a mail to the grassroots list about the apachecon | mvn helps organzing :)
[18:48:17] <mvn071> I could poll Dirk Willem van Gulik also, i that migth help
[18:48:23] <mvn071> if
[18:48:59] <mvn071> use to be president of apache foundation.
[18:49:16] <crazy-chris> sounds interesting!
[18:49:27] <crazy-chris> i have only enough time to support any efforts for organizing
[18:49:33] <crazy-chris> but not for actively organizing myself
[18:49:43] <mvn071> oke.
[18:50:16] <crazy-chris> okay :)
[18:50:29] <crazy-chris> offtopic: i just got in contact with opencv
[18:50:31] <crazy-chris>
[18:50:42] <crazy-chris> it's a free computer vision library developed by intel
[18:50:53] <crazy-chris> object / face recognition
[18:51:05] <crazy-chris> and a of more cool things
[18:51:16] <crazy-chris> it's designed for microcontrollers, so should work on the xo as well :)
[18:51:26] <The> nice
[18:52:09] <crazy-chris> i study robotics in vienna, and have a course which deals with image recognition
[18:52:29] <crazy-chris> maybe there is someone interested in a few weeks / months, and we try to make something cool
[18:53:15] <crazy-chris> oki :)
[18:53:16] <mvn071> sound something for :)
[18:53:46] <crazy-chris> looks interesting
[18:53:49] <crazy-chris> #link
[18:54:06] <crazy-chris>
[18:54:25] <mvn071> The triing to get drupal guys aswell there
[18:54:30] <mvn071> The is
[18:54:57] <The> They've already said yes
[18:55:16] <The> now talking with c,mm,n ;-)
[18:55:26] <phil_praxis> Can you explain / detail what you want with drupal people?
[18:55:41] <The> workshop on how to use
[18:55:53] <The> handson
[18:55:56] <phil_praxis> ok.
[18:56:27] <mvn071> and also, doing maybe later course mangement in the XS
[18:57:31] <phil_praxis> yes, i have one education organization very interested in that in France
[18:57:55] <The> bring them on :-)
[18:58:04] <phil_praxis> They would like to use a Wiki in order to store courses that can be transformed in exercises by each teacher
[18:58:11] <mvn071> there is a very active group in Belgium also.
[18:58:31] <phil_praxis> yes, we're going to do a One Day Blast (cf. ) on getting some existing courses in some wiki
[18:58:43] <phil_praxis> on XS possibly, didn't go yet in there :)
[18:59:13] <The> in august they can work on this at the OCC 2008 for the whole week
[18:59:34] <phil_praxis> ok, will tell them
[19:00:08] <phil_praxis> Do we have some contact with the Moinmoin people mentionned in the projects?
[19:00:28] <phil_praxis>
[19:01:10] <crazy-chris>
[19:01:12] <crazy-chris> (for meetbot)
[19:02:22] <The> done ?
[19:02:32] <mvn071> does any know if p3p filterin will be used in the future?
[19:02:39] <mvn071> on the XS
[19:02:53] <mvn071>
[19:03:25] <crazy-chris> okay. so time gets over... :)
[19:03:36] <crazy-chris> #topic next meeting
[19:03:53] <crazy-chris> 2 weekly rythm seems fine to me. in 2 weeks again, 19:00 cet?
[19:04:24] <mvn071> yes, better than 18:00
[19:04:49] <crazy-chris> for me too :)
[19:05:25] <The> ditto
[19:05:26] <phil_praxis> how do we automate the reminder feature or make sure the meeting reminder is sent one day before?
[19:05:46] <crazy-chris> phil_praxis: that's a good idea!
[19:05:56] <crazy-chris> script
[19:06:09] <crazy-chris> with a form to enter your mail
[19:06:24] <crazy-chris> and a newsletter a few days in advance
[19:06:31] <crazy-chris> maybe
[19:07:02] <crazy-chris> #idea automate reminder for irc meetings
[19:07:23] <crazy-chris> #action next irc meeting in 2 weeks, 27. March 08, 19:00 cet
[19:07:45] <crazy-chris> #endmeeting

Meeting ended.

Information on meetbot is available at